• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer coupling on the M1009

Elektroman99

I have experienced a technical question about the M1009.

The Hacken trailer coupling (NATO trailer coupling) is - as far as I know - screwed to the rear frame cross brace and should only have a low load limit.
In an offer for an M1009, a trailer coupling with approx. 3 - 3.5 tons was specified. I asked once and now they got these pictures.

Does anyone here know which company offers this towbar and how expensive on the one hand the assembly is and the pure material?

If I post in the wrong forum area, I ask the administrators to move the thread and I apologize.

Pictures:

Kind regards,
BF

Barrman

I am not able to see your pictures. I also don't know exactly what you mean by Hacken trailer coupling. If you mean the stock pintle hitch. Then, no it is not bolted to the frame cross member. (The CUCV trucks did have it bolted to the frame with great strength.) It is very lightly bolted in and the military weight limits should be used. If you ever take it apart, you will wonder why the military rated it so high.

What I and many others have done is add a 2" receiver hitch frame under the rear bumper and bolted to the frame of the truck. There will be some modifications needed to bolt a receiver hitch frame for a 1984 K5 Blazer to a M1009. But, they are pretty minor and easy. Then, you will be limited to what Chevrolet said the towing weight of the K5 Blazer was. Which off the top of my head is 6,000 pounds and 1,000 pound tongue weight.

I am not sure that will pass your inspection process in Germany. Also keep in mind the stock 6.2 engine and 3.08 gear ratio do not add up to fast towing on flat land. Hills, elevation and wind make it even worse.

Elektroman99

First of all, thank you very much for the quick answer and the technical information. (y)

The fact that this towbar seems to be unknown has not left me in peace. :sneaky:

I used Google to search the German-speaking area on the Internet and found what I was looking for.
It is the trailer coupling from GDW article number 0619.

Don't worry, I have taken note of the information regarding overloading, etc., I just wanted to find out whether this trailer coupling still exists or whether it was / is also designed by the manufacturer for this load.

Kind regards,
BF

Last edited:

Barrman

I can see the pictures now. Couldn't earlier when I replied.

That hitch you have looks very substantial, tied into the frame at the rear and secured to the body in front of the fuel tank. Similar hitches are available for my E39 BMW Touring with higher weight ratings that I listed for the receiver hitch earlier. Make sure the fasteners are in good condition. But, otherwise I think you would be fine for what you originally listed out.

Elektroman99

I wrote to GWD, the answer is in German and English.

Guten Tag,

Die Kupplung 0619 produzieren wir nur noch auf Anfrage.
Lieferzeit ist ca. 8 Wochen
Sie können die AHK einfach über einen Händler in Deutschland bestellen: z.B. Rameder (kupplung.de), Westfalia-Eichmann, Stahlgruber, J. Brunner, etc.

Good day,

We only produce the coupling 0619 on request.
Delivery time is approx. 8 weeks
You can easily order the AHK from a dealer in Germany: e.g. Rameder (kupplung.de), Westfalia-Eichmann, Stahlgruber, J. Brunner, etc.

Kind regards,
BF

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks