• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer for MEP-002A?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
What trailer should I be looking for to go with a new to me MEP-002A? Also, do they make a shroud to cover the entire unit from the elements, if not I suppose a covered trailer would do the trick. Thanks.

Bighurt

Yes, an M116 is the right trailer. I believe there are a few in the classifieds. Most guys don't want the trailer.

Last edited:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks, now to find one close by :) I like the idea of one that has the top to keep the elements out. I am without a great garage currently (6 acres and no barn, shame on me).

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thats what I am after (really nice), what model are those? What is a fair price for one considering I can find one?

jbk

model m116a2 i paid 250.00 for one in college station tx. the one with the 002 came from gl with the 002 for 1000.00. seach ebay ive seen em come up, gl also. youall see alot more 101s wich can bee used also just have that box. i would say 300.00-500.00 depending on acc. ill keep a look out for ya and pm you if i find somthing.
jim

Last edited:

derf

What are you using to pull the trailer? Depending on what you want there are a lot of options.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2226.jpg

If you want the military look and function then the M101 trailers are good. The 116 is like a flat bed version of the 103. The 105 is too big to use behind a regular pickup truck, IMO. 101A3s have surge brakes. The older 101s have the big 5 lug pattern. Trailer brakes are good, but can be unnecessarily expensive to maintain if you don't need them.

I have a 1000+ pound Kubota water cooled gen that I pulled around on a Harbor Freight trailer that I got for $125. The Harbor Freight stuff is functional but I would not use it if I were pulling the generator constantly. I also have a modified M101A1 trailer. One benefit of the HF trailer over the 101 might be size. The small HF trailer is more suited to the size of the 002. The 002 in a 101 trailer will give you lots of extra space to store stuff, though. Also, if you can get a 101 trailer that had a gen or gens on it they have built in fuel tanks. Fuel tanks are like brakes, IMO. If you need/use them they are great. If not they are something extra to keep clean and maintain.

There are threads about trailers and pics of 002s on trailers. I've seen a nice 002 on a HF trailer but I can't remember if it was on SS or not.

Edit:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxillary-equipment/80876-make-low-trailer-mep-002a.html

Also, the 101 trailers can have a high coupler point. I lowered mine.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/59482-m101a1-standard-3500lb-axle-swap.html

Last edited:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
This is fantastic detail, thanks. I do not have plans to tow it consistently. The main times would be 1.) Getting it home (250 miles) and 2.) If a situation forced me to move it (emergency). Other than that it would be nice to be able to move it around the property (6 acres).

My primary vehicle for towing is a 2500 RAM 4x4, and in a pinch a Yukon 4x4. Sometime in the next year I will pick up a deuce and a half or other large military vehicle. I like the idea of a military trailer for authenticity and durability, however... I have to pick the 002 up within 14 days and I may have to go the HF way. The HF link seems broken for me, know the model number?

derf

HF trailers are cheap and effective. To get it home, though, most GL places have fork lifts. Maybe just have them fork it into your truck? I had an 003A in my Tacoma.
If you're going to just use it for a dolly for the gen and occasional road use, think about HF. Tires get old and need replacement every 5-7 years, at best. Two 12" trailer tires are way cheaper than two 16" trailer tires.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Good point. I was looking at the pics of my 002 and it looks like the fork lift holes are only aligned "long ways". Can it be picked up "width ways" as well to get it into the back of the truck? My second thought is how do I get it back out as I am without my military electric forklift :)

derf

You can use an engine hoist (HF again). You can slide it down ramps.
They can be forked longways, but it needs to be done carefully.
OTOH, if you plans include keeping it on a trailer then it might be good to let them fork it onto the trailer.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get it into your truck, just take a chain along and have them pick up up from the top with the lifting ring that is attached right beside the air cleaner housing.

jbk

here is one of my 002s on a hf. works but i replaced the tounge as the one the trailer comes with is a piece of junk its thin c channel and to short. and i had to buy some wood, bolts etc. the trailer was 199.00 replacement tounge and jack 80.00 wood and nuts and bolts 50.00 or so. and it doesnt have its own canopy, so youall have to provide a shelter. sandbar check your privite messages my have a lead for you.

Attachments

Last edited:

steelypip

I got mine home on my >2000# rated single-axle utility trailer (Cabell's cousin used a fork loader to get it on the trailer). Got it off the trailer by setting both brakes on the quad and skidding it down the trailer ramp with the quad's winch. I was worried about how to get it to its permanent site, but skidding it on the grass is so easy that I'll probably just drag it along with the quad, which I use basically as a small 4wd tractor.

As for trailers, the HF/Tractor Supply/Lowes/HD smallest/cheapest trailer should be fine, but be careful about tongue weight - as jbk said, the tongues tend to be too-thin square tube, and I have seen one fold a tongue up because of too much tongue weight (small load of firewood on one of these back in the '80s).

I specifically have avoided wheels or a trailer because I don't want my MEP-002A leaving home unless I want it to. We're not in a bad neighborhood, but I've seen contractor generators with the wheel kit disappear before in other places.

jbk

doable, the 353 is made to tow behind a deuce so tounge hight i think is 32in. and its rated 3 1/2 ton a little overkill. this is the set up i use on my 103 behind my 1/2 ton chevy (same height).

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I found a 353 for a good price, what all is needed to make it towable by my 2500 RAM? I have a 5th wheel hookup, and a 15K hitch. I thought I read the 353 uses air brakes, something my RAM is not equipped to handle. Any solutions?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks