• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Hitch

Croatan_Kid

I just put a Curt #13028 V-5 class 3 trailer hitch on my M1008. I did away with the rear shackle mounts to make room and since there's already the pintle hitch, I still have a solid pulling point that is easy to use with gloves on. I did have to use a few flat washers to space it away from the bumper a little bit, but it looks awesome! You can't see the main crossbar from behind the truck, just the 2" reciever. After we took the shackle mounts off I only had to enlarge one existing hole. It's got four 1/2" grade 8 bolts holding it on....I think it'll stay put!

I'll take pics when I get home ir it's still daylight, if not they'll be up tomorrow morning!

ehuppert

Been meaning to post pics and details on my hitch install on the 85 1008.....

Draw tite class III, 75034

Ended up torching of the most foward portions of the shacle mount bars underneath the frame. Measured and Trimmed just enough that i can put a flat plate from whats left of the bracket to the hitch, and up to the frame. Obviously had to ditch the spare tire carrier. Will triangulate a piece of steel and use existing holes in side brackets of hitch, bumper bracket and upto the frame. this should tie things in nicely, don't have to lose any rigidity in the shackl, frame, bumper, etc.

Only two of the three bolt holes would line up, ended up drilling a "third" hole. Also had to elongate the rear most holes as they didn't quite line up.

Also had to grind some of the square mounting plates (top of frame attaching points) as the rear crossmember is located a little different than the civvy models.

Much easier to do than i had anticipated, but having access to torches is the key!

Eric

AJMBLAZER

All that grinding and cutting...bah...you just need a master fabricator with a large supply of scrap steel for a father in law like I have.

Mine doesn't disturb any of the CUCV components but we had to fab up everything between the tube and the frame rails. Just got it back from getting sand blasted and Rhino Lined. Hope to have it on soon.

Attachments

Croatan_Kid

They didn't have shackles on them, that's why I just took the mounts off. Of course, I had already cut the rear part of the brace in half before I just decided to unbolt them.....live and learn! :roll:

CCATLETT1984

I dont know that i'd trust 4bolts, i'd run a few weld beads along the joints as well. I have a class V on mine that is run through the bumper and took the place of the pintle, so i just have a combination pintle/ball on my hitch.

CCATLETT1984

for your trans cooler, you do have to worry about cooling it too much in winter. they sell bypass valves with thermostats built in them for this purpose, if the fluid is under a certain temp, it will just circulate it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks