• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Hub Lube

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Heres something I did to my trailers You might be interested in . I fear a breakdown on the Hi-Way because of a bearing failure. Pack by hand first as normal then A couple of pumps every now and then .

Drill and tap 1/8 pipe you`re done
Hope this is Helpful

Neil

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huh, pretty cool! Wonder if this could be done on the outside plate of the deuce hubs to allow easier lubing as well?

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mike Thanks . I first did this to a 416 I got 25 yrs ago and have done this ever sense. Same as a buddy bearing on a boat trailer ,Well almost. I thought about doing it to the deuce hubs too I don`t think it would hurt a thing. On the trailer you just need to be careful not to blow the seal out the back .

Neil

jwaller

I would imagine this lubes the outer bearing pretty well but until you pack the space between the inner and outer you dont get much on the inside. I dont think it'd be a good idea to run the hub completely full of GAA.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many Massey Ferguson farm tractor front hubs have the same system Neil has devised, but they are low speed. The advice about watching blowing out the inner seal is true. I would be careful about it on a duece because then it can get into the brakes if the inner seal is turned inside out by the pressure that can be put out by a grease gun. I note that Neil has two fittings on the cap, is one a pressure relief to limit the pressure applied by the grease gun to a safe level? Yes, the hub has to be full of grease for it to work right. Heat and resulting pressure could build up at prolonged highway speeds. It works on boat trailers, which have a spring in the cap to regulate pressure. If the second fitting on Neil's cap is a spring loaded pressure limiter, then the excess would be vented there. It might get onto the sides of the trailer, but that is better than inverting a seal from the pressure.
Properly hand-packed bearings will run many miles with no problem. I have always been amazed by how little grease they demand. Moisture getting into the grease, or incorrect grease is the biggest culprit in failures.
Regards Marti

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Marti Thanks. I probably should have left this post Off. Oh well The second fitting is spring loaded and will relieve excess pres. Hand/manual packing is always best for sure. I would not recomend this on a truck , That`s alot of grease I`ve seen alot of trailers sitting on the side of the road because of a bad bearing . Bad /burned/ busted bearin g usually means ruined spindle. Thats a ruff fix on the shoulder of the road . enough said. Maybe this thread will just fade away. Thanks for your input .Have a good day.

Neil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks