• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer id, just got it a few days ago.

Ok gents so i got another trailer a few days ago for a dirty deal that i couldn't pass up. is intended use is an expedition type build. We have a 101a3 already and cannot say enough good about it. such great trailers! anyway I cannot locate any data plates but i know its an a2 frame from the axle, but thats all i know. brake lines are missing and the fluid reservoir or master cylinder is in need of tlc as its rusty inside and no cap.

any thoughts on how or if its worth servicing the surge brakes and doing brake lines? Or if id be better of with a new axle and electric brakes? well thanks in advance gents

Last edited:

LuckyDog

I'm jealous.:drool: I don't think it is an M116A2.

Given you are changing tires and rims to match the tow vehicle, I personnaly would change the axle to electric brakes rather than spend the money on the surge brake.

Unless you don't already have a brake controller in the blazer. Don't know the cost difference.

I could see surge brakes being better than electric brakes though when off-roading...

Hummmm, Tough call.:???:

harleyhouse

Interesting!

I would say a frankentrailer.
M101a2 surge assembly and tongue angles, axle, spings mounts and shocks.
The rest is fabed for a special duty by the motor pull.

Stout design what is the size of the frame?
What are your plans?

Frame seems to be 4 feet wide and about 8 feet wide. I was trying to locate an axle locally before we drive it to Montana but so far no luck. I plan to build a box with a lid and make it an expedition trailer, shorten it up a bit. something kinda like a more robust version of a 416 expo build. Im not against the surge brake but it has no brake lines, and the cap is off the surge brake so its all rusty inside.

where can i pick up those parts to do that mod, seems practical. i just picked up a 416 today using the frankentrailer, the 416 is in pieces. so im in a rush yo assemble it before i move.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The frame is the M116A2. If you had a cargo bed on it, then it would be a M101A2.
Neither.

It might have started out as one, but not anymore. Look at how the "A" frame is made. The original A arms went back to the "pivot" casting which would let it "dump". That is not how it is put together on this trailer. Wonder what it was made for.

One of the guys at the museum seems to think it was for some sort of pump? Not that its really the end of the world either way, Im very pleased with it and the 416 and the 101a3. cant beat mil trailers

Yeah once we get moved my first order of business is the m416 then this guy. Im kinda kicking the idea around of a flat bed with some anchor points, not for sure.

Any suggestion on this guys? I already have a perfect m101a3 and an m416 as an expedition build.

Ratch

It definitely doesn't look like regular production, but it clearly cannibalized M116/M101 parts.

It looks like someone designed it to dump. The front double-chassis that the a-tubes connect to is set at 180degress to the spring mount, which would make it the right angle for dumping without twisting the frame like a typical m101/116.

I'd also hesitate to put a lot of load in the front of the trailer the way that a-frame is connected. It's probably fine, but I wouldn't drop 2000lbs of iron in it to haul to the scrapyard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks