• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think in most states the trailer is covered by the towing vehicle's policy as it is "part" of the towing vehicle when in tow, but hopefully someone from FL will chime in. Worst case, check with the DMV.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call your local DMV for the correct answer.
I think in most states the trailer is covered by the towing vehicle's policy as it is "part" of the towing vehicle when in tow
One of my MV insurers told me that their insurance coverage does not extend to a trailer being towed (by the truck that is insured by them). Here in NY, a trailer is normally covered by the towing vehicle. So if you have doubts call both your DMV and your towing vehicle's insurance company.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: trailer insurance?

doghead said:
Call your local DMV for the correct answer.
I think in most states the trailer is covered by the towing vehicle's policy as it is "part" of the towing vehicle when in tow
One of my MV insurers told me that their insurance coverage does not extend to a trailer being towed (by the truck that is insured by them). .
Actually, I found this to be true as well for "specialty" insurance. Hagerty, JC Taylor, etc did not insure trailers, except possibly on a case by case basis. I suspect that is mostly for "street rod" trailers, but you could check with your agent/company...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: trailer insurance?

I don't remember which company it was (either Hagerty or J.C. Taylor) but they did offer an additional policy for my trailer. I have not insured it(trailer) separately yet.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Now that I think about it, this does ring a bell. Maybe it was that they would not insure it via the truck, but would insure it on a seperate policy, with the restriction that you were not supposed to haul anything with it? It was strictly for "show" purposes. That does sound more like what I remember from JC Taylor years ago.

Mike_Pop

Most trailers are covered by the tow vehicle. However, ask your insurance agent. You can also get a rider policy to cover a trailer if you had a lot of money into it. Say, you are hauling your mv or street rod which is worth big bucks. You might want to get extra insurance on the trailer for the value of the payload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks