• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer lean Question.

Ripcord01

. I was pulling it home and noticed it did pull a little odd, not as easy as my other 101. I placed a level on the axle , axle is good. I would assume it is the shock or the springs! Could the box be tweaked?

Attachments

86m1028

Looks like a weak spring on pass side.

Box looks fine to me.

Notice how the axle & frame arent parallel.

Pull the shock loose & see if its bent or stuck.

Last edited:

Ressoldier

I would look at both springs and compare the two. You could have anything from a bent frame(easily checked with square and level), broken or weak spring pack, frozen/ rustes solid shackle to a bent stuck shock. the last two would be restricting movement and not letting one side settle or return to proper height.

the fact that the box looks square and the tailgate opens and closes properly I would focus on suspension related issues.

quickfarms

Prodably just a bad spring, check for bent,broken or missing leaves.

Is the arch on the A1, A2 and A3 springs the same?

I have noticed that some A2 trailers seem to sit a little higher that others

3dAngus

That spring is compressed. Look at the couplings. Count the leafs. Look for cracks.
It's not the shock as the shock would not hold it up that much. It is more for compression to cushion the ride. The springs hold it up.

You need to take a good look at one spring and compare it to the other, inch by inch. Something is broke there. Good luck!

Ripcord01

I tilted the trailer and used a laser and ruler to check to see if frame was bent . It is not the frame.. I measured the shocks on both sides to see how far each one is compressed, there is a difference of 1.5 inches. I also was checking the springs on the passenger side and noticed they are spongy when I leaned hard on them . I weight 220lbs so it shouldn't make that much of a difference, but when leaning and putting my body weight on it , there was a lot of movement on the spring. So is there a way to rebuild the springs?

Ratch

I'd say weak or broken spring also. Jack up the trailer by the frame on that side and see if you can level it without the axle coming up, too. A bent shock holding the spring compressed seems extremely less likely than the spring being squashed.

Not a whole lot to else to check between the axle and the frame...

Ratch

So is there a way to rebuild the springs?
Nope, but you can wrap a chain between the axle and the frame to lower the other side and even it out... Just reduce your payload to 300lbs... rofl

Springs can be re-arched if they're not broken, but buying a new pair is probably the more economical way to go.

rfischba1

Was the trailer leaning when you picked it up? I got one home last week nive camo paint job, but the bed was rotted out.
I am heading to Meade tomorrow for another load.

3dAngus

Where would I find a new set to purchase? any ideas.. Probably cost more than what I paid for the trailer.. Grrr thanks Ratch.

The M-105 springs are fairly popular items because they are used in Bobbed deuces. You can find them on the classifieds every now and then.

You need to find someone in YOUR area though due to shipping costs making it prohibitive. Springs with shackles usually go for around $100. Seems to be the average going price. Labor to remove for you is most of it. It's not a real easy job unless you have the right shop and heavy duty tooling.

It might be easier and cheaper in the long run to just scrap it, get the money, and buy another. That's what I would do. PM sent.

Ratch

If you have an impact wrench, deep impact sockets, lots of liquid wrench and time, you can probably do it in your driveway.
Price might not be too bad, it looks they're pretty cheap;
4-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 3,000-lb Trailer Axles Redline Trailer Suspension PR427

You'd probably want something a little heavier than that, but even if it's $30 per spring from a trailer shop, $60 isn't too bad to spend on a keeper. Really boils down to what you want to do with it.
By the way, you'd probably want to stick with trailer springs and avoid full size vehicle springs, even if they fit. Vehicle springs will be too stiff for a trailer. You might find your cargo bouncing out onto the road...

Last edited:

mrfishaholic

I would just cut the shocks off of it, dont need em anyway, there is some place that advertises on ebay periodically that parts these out, you can get springs pretty **** cheep from them, I cant find their ad, but I have seen them before.. good luck

Ripcord01

The shocks are there for a reason. Otherwise Parkhurst would not have included them in the design of the trailer. I want to keep it as original as possible. There is another SS member I am bartering with to get some good springs. After brushing off the spring I did notice some separation but I found no cracks.I would assume Forklift damage.

Attachments

Ripcord01

I took off the cargo bed today. Wow a heavy little beast. Took the 8 bolts out and slide it right off the frame.There were a few tie down bolts that were gone. I did notice the shock on the left side of the trailer was higher than the right shock. I am gonna try to get the shocks off to replace them.

3dAngus

It will be nice just to get the shocks off, take it down the road with a little load of a couple hundred pounds, bring it back, and see if it still leans. Keep us informed. It's all very interesting and we enjoy going along for the ride with ya.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks