• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Light Wiring/Plug

asg13

I have searched and cant seem to find the answer I am looking for. Unlike most here, I have little mechanic knowledge so therefore the green machine is going to the shop for a tune up and to fix a few odds and ends.

One issue I need to address is my trailer wiring. My truck is still 24 volts. Is there a plug and play application that I can plug into the existing plug? What are the chances it is still operative? Or should I have the shop rig something up to a traditional plug to work with my trailer now.

Thanks in advance.

MarcusOReallyus

Your truck is 12 volts, except for the starter circuit, and part of the glow plug circuit. The rest is 12 volts, pretty much stock GM.

There are adapters you can buy to go from your NATO plug to a standard 7 pin RV plug. I don't remember where I saw it, but it was over a hundred bucks.

To me, the simplest thing is to just replace the NATO plug with a standard civilian plug. Unless you see a need to keep the NATO plug....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Helps to know what vehicle you are working on. And what type of trailer connector you want. 7-round, 6-round, 4-flat, etc

Many have used the t-connectors and added a 4-flat, but it does take a little modifing

cpf240

Which truck do you have? The M1009 will require an adapter if you don't want to tap into or change the existing wiring. There are threads here on making an adapter to plug into either the NATO plug or the weather-pack connectors that feed the NATO plug. If you have one of the other CUCVs, M1008, etc, then the commercial trailer light adapters for that era truck should be plug and play with the correct harness from places like etrailer, etc.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just went down to a local u=haul and had them add 4 pin one cost a whole $15! I don't know if it was that cheap as I was also getting a tow dolly or not but that is all they charged me.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mules, did they use the blue scotch-lock connectors? They allow water in the wires after awhile

MarcusOReallyus

If you've got connectors with the single blade (like the blue one below), get rid of them. You want the kind with the double blade (like the brown one below), and fill it with dielectric grease before you make the connection.

Much mo' bettah!

By the way, the color indicates the size wire it fits. You can get either kind in red, blue, yellow, and brown.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks