• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer lights {12 volts)

Kenneth Cole

Hi
I have added a regular trailer hitch to my Humvee . I have it wired right now for 24 v but want to change it to 12v . Not sure what would be the best way.
Need ideas.

Ken

papakb

This is the quickest and simplest way to do a trailer lamp conversion and is the best way to eliminate creating problems. Look for LEDs that operate from 10-30 volts. It just adds that much more flexibility.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The second best way, or if you tow a variety of trailers, especially borrowed ones that you can't just go swapping out bulbs in willy nilly, is use the XM381 converter box.

install is pretty easy. Only downside is the trailer lights will only work when your headlights are on (has to do with how the converter box gets/uses power)
or build one yourself; it's really just a 24-12V converter, several relays, wiring, trailer plug, and a box.

EDIT: and just be warned, if the "trailer hitch" you just installed is one of the pinball type (flat piece of steel that bolts where the pintle is and a 2" receiver welded to the bottom and not much else) then you won't be towing very much weight. Those things bend pretty easily if you tow more than a few hundred pounds or use more than a 2" drop for the hitch itself; too much leverage on it.
If you got a real hitch like the one from Federal or BlackDog, then you're good to go, and maybe consider a trailer brake controller if you're towing more than 3k lbs (or whatever the legal amount is in your state to require brakes)

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, if you have 12v trailer brakes you need the above mentioned converter. If the trailer does not have brakes I just use 10v-24v led bulbs. There are 12 pin military to 4 pin flat or 7 pin round adaptors out there. You can go with the top pic of military 12 pin to 7 pin then use a common 7 pin to 4 pin flat adapter so you can hook up to most trailers. I am not a fan of changing the 12 pin on the truck to something else permanently. Just my two cents.

Mark

military-trailer-adapter-cable-military-trailer-on-a-civilian-vehicle-x-6034-15.jpg

images (29).jpeg

143248_A2.jpeg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MarkM’s items look awesome! Still, some of us are DIY so I will post the following…

Several years ago on this HMMWV forum, someone posted diagrams and instructions on how to make a cheap military to civilian 24-12 Volt plug in converter. Elsewhere on the trailer forums, someone posted and had a video or link to a M1101 trailer conversion and plug conversion to civilian showing how to swap wires and make a dual military and civilian plug option.

Both were simple affordable projects each under $40.

If I remember I’ll look later for the links.[EDIT- looked five minutes later for the military-civilian plug link]

Search was my friend today. Searched “trailer plug conversion” limited to this forum… read the entire thread for the parts needed and post 16 for the diagrams. Really affordable!!! Post was from 2018. Wow time flies!

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More trailer light info from St So

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still looking for the video BUT this has all the wiring information to convert the trailer and the truck. From the StSo trailer section…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks