• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer lights from 24v to 12v

Artisan

I am able to pull my 12V trailer w/ my 24V M925A1 for 25 bucks. Well, I already owned a pair of magnetic "tow" lights that a guy would use to tow anything that does not have lights. So what you do is get a MV pigtail from these guys that convert MV trailers to 12V. Now you put a simple RV female end on the end of the MV pigtail. Now you just replace the 12V bulbs in the magnetic set to 24V and VIOLA! I did it for 25 bucks on the cheap. I can not tow ANYTHING w/o screwing with things...Outside the Box, Outside the box! Sure no trailer brakes but who needs them when your tow rig more than triples the weight of the trailer!

bigbird1

ok, we all know diodes drop voltage , if you put the right amount in a row and use a metal tube to hold them in place , it should drop the voltage to 12 volt or around that even 14-15 would work. If you got a pigtail like Artisam said and a trail plug for the other end. Then just put one set or diodes on the ground side it should drop the voltage on every circuit ie, tail , brakes and turn.

MarcusOReallyus

NO NO NO! aua

That's not how diodes work. You want resistors for that use.

Better yet, do it the right way. Just use multi-voltage LED bulbs (most of them are) that work across different voltages. Most will run from 9v -32v, which will cover your 12v and 24v systems quite nicely.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've planted diodes in the ground, in my zener garden.:)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you need a set of resisters to drop the voltage.

a problem with putting just the resistors in the ground side, is that unless all the lights on the trailer have a dedicated ground wire, and are not grounded to the frame, you will have problems. The tongue will gound out to the truck and you will still get 24-28v across the lights if they are frame grounded.

I've planted diodes in the ground, in my zener garden.:)
Did you get normal rectifiers or bridge rectifiers? I hear bridge rectifiers are a heirloom variety. :razz:

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Normal silicon diode has a voltage drop between 0.6–1.7 volts each , stack a few button type in a metal tube and your good to go.

Yes, diodes drop voltage. No, they are not the right tool for the job.

I have driven nails with a wrench, and used a claw hammer to remove screws.

Yes, it can be done.

No, it's not the right way to do it.

Oh, and doghead? You owe me a new keyboard! :mrgreen:

bigbird1

ok, thanks , what ones are you all using, just thought Id use what I had around. don't all military trailers use a dedicated ground? well maybe not all civilian trailers do, good point .

flibob

For 24 bucks at Rural King the entire 12 volt setup. Put the lights side by side you have two trailer plugs. No adapter. Just plug and go. Takes about half an hour to instal.

MarcusOReallyus

For 24 bucks at Rural King the entire 12 volt setup. Put the lights side by side you have two trailer plugs. No adapter. Just plug and go. Takes about half an hour to instal.
Allow me to translate into English for you, Frodo:

For 24 bucks at Rural King (a farm supply store) you can buy the entire 12 volt setup, including all the necessary wires and connectors. Install the new lights beside the existing lights. You will then have two complete lighting systems in parallel, including the trailer plugs. No adapter will be needed. Just plug and go. Takes about half an hour to install.
;)

Not a bad idea for those who need both systems.

Last edited:

Cobra2401

What do you do with the truck side, tap into the 12 pin plug thats there with a 7 way rv plug. So you have the 12 pin and 7 way plug mounted on the truck? Or are using an adapter plug? The second set of lights on the trailer are 24/12 volt bulbs or LEDs?

MarcusOReallyus

What do you do with the truck side, tap into the 12 pin plug thats there with a 7 way rv plug.

That's one way to do it.

So you have the 12 pin and 7 way plug mounted on the truck?

That's another way.

Or are using an adapter plug?

Some folks do that, too.

The second set of lights on the trailer are 24/12 volt bulbs or LEDs?

The original bulbs are 24v, but you can replace those with 12v bulbs (the sockets are the same) or you can get LEDs.

Any of those approaches work fine.

For me, I replaced the original plugs with 7 pin RV plugs. I have no need for the military plug, as I have no other military vehicles, and I want compatibility with several civvy vehicles, too. So that's what works for me.

Some folks leave the original plugs in place and just switch the bulbs to 12v.

Some folks put a civvy plug on the trailer, and use that with other civvy vehicles, and an adapter for when they use the trailer with their MV truck with the military plug.

Basically, decide how you are going to use it, and then choose whatever method works for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks