• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer rack exensions

Ripcord01

Has anyone here attempted to make or customize the racks on a M101 in order to have more height? How about making a custom cover any experience?

Thanks

koolex11

That sounds like it will be very tough, Kreg. If you drop wooden stakes into the holes on the trailer rail, you will have to deal with expansion/contraction and more bending as you go higher with the racks. You will also have to figure out how to rig the bows.

If you are going for headroom, why not just extend the bows? Much easier, just cut 10 new wooden legs for the bows and bolt the steel elbows and slides back on. If you plan on keeping the racks and bows permanently on the trailer, you can then add more horizontal racks right up the sides of the bows.

As far as a tarp goes, maybe you can find an M116 tarp. They are much taller with the same length and width as a 101 tarp. Because the 116 is essentially a 101 without the side walls, it's a flatbed trailer.

Ripcord01

That sounds like it will be very tough, Kreg. If you drop wooden stakes into the holes on the trailer rail, you will have to deal with expansion/contraction and more bending as you go higher with the racks. You will also have to figure out how to rig the bows.

If you are going for headroom, why not just extend the bows? Much easier, just cut 10 new wooden legs for the bows and bolt the steel elbows and slides back on. If you plan on keeping the racks and bows permanently on the trailer, you can then add more horizontal racks right up the sides of the bows.

As far as a tarp goes, maybe you can find an M116 tarp. They are much taller with the same length and width as a 101 tarp. Because the 116 is essentially a 101 without the side walls, it's a flatbed trailer.
I was going to cut a set of racks and stack them on top of each other.They are too heavy to do such. I think the Bow extension is the way to go. Why did I not think of that? Thanks Koolex for the input and solutions.

Ripcord01

Good luck with that, that will make a ****-of-a big tall tarped trailer cover, I dont know what material you plan to cover it with but it should have kevlar in it....:?:
Are you referring to the increase of height in the trailer? What would Kevlar have to do with a cover? I am a little confused on your posting !!

mrfishaholic

Kevlar fabric, the wind resistance on the front unless reinforced on the back would rip apart the seems/ material used (mil spec). I was just saying you want to really think about what you are going to cover it with as you will need something that has a greater strength than the rubberized material that the gov't uses as it will shread. Those covers dont do well with much wind resistance. If you are towing behind a duce or something you may have better luck, however if you are towing behind a civy vehicle, the overall size of the frontal area is a problem for most fabrics. (just trying to make sure you were thinking about it) thats all.. [thumbzup]

koolex11

You know if you are planning to do some camping in it, you might want to start considering some insulation.

After you extend the bows to the size you want, you could cover your new high walls with some 1/4" plywood and 1 1/2" foam board insulation. sort of a ply-foam-ply sandwich, and the racks and bows would serve as the wall "studs" to bolt the new wood to. You could even remove the existing rack boards and replace them with a sheet of plywood, keeping the metal vertical parts of course.

That would certainly tighten things up, add another waterproof layer (once you paint it) and it can be the start of a nice warm (or cool) camper without adding much weight.

Of course, you would really need to do the same with the roof, but one thing at a time right?

You could keep your vinyl mil spec tarp on the outside, for show and rain protection, but with a rigid box on the inside it won't suffer such a thrashing at high speed.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another idea on the canvas, big cities all have boat cover companies and tent companies. They can make or extend anything you would want.

Ripcord01

Another idea on the canvas, big cities all have boat cover companies and tent companies. They can make or extend anything you would want.
I have a canvas boat shop down the road form my house. They are way too expensive for my wallet. They do a lot of commercial work.not really fashioned for the average guy like me..

Ripcord01

Thanks Barrman for the info. I think with putting mosquito netting there and all it will not matter. Just so we can be protected from the rain and all. Anyone have a cover they want to trade for a nice m101 cover. It is green.

DAP

I will need to check but I have a chvi cover with the window in each end. I think it is green. Only problem is shipping back and forth to Nc would be a killer

DAP

I am 45 minutes due south of Charlotte about 3 miles from the NC/SC bourder tucked in the corner. I am in no hurry if you are in no hurry if your wife gets down here again.

DAP

That is about 1 hour from us. I can't speak for anybody else but we have been happily married since 1979. She picked out the color for my M37 and since I have my aircraft A&P and IA I said why not be different and make it Air Force - it is actually to dark of a blue but most people don't know better.

koolex11

FedEx wouldn't charge more than $50. Is that too much? I sent a couple 101 tarps from pa to ca and it was under 50. Added weight but shorter distance. Take it down to the UPS depot and get a price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks