• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Removal - Tools required?

Brent13

Hello All,

I have been granted my trailer down at Ft. Carson. I hope to pick-up next week. I am going to run to the Big R for my pintle hitch. I am going to borrow some magnetic lights from a friend. Are there any other must have tools to make this process easier? Have most of you just hitched up and got going, or are there common problems with removal. I am talking mechanical problems, not paperwork problems. Please give me a list of tools that might come in handy. I am about 30 minutes from the base and would like to avoid having to run back home for a specific tool. Trailer in question is a M101, with side rails, bows, and canvas. I am excited!!!

Thanks,
Brent

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd take the following: Hand tools, an extra set of safety chains (in case yours are missing), bearing grease (in case their dry) , protable air tank (in case tires are flat).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take someone to help you, you'll want them when you lift the landing leg and lower it onto your pintle hitch.

Kwai

M101 is 3/4 ton traliler and can be easily moved by 1 guy (when empty). Take a hammer to move the landing if it's stuck. Safety chaings as well since the stock chains sometimes aren't long enough to connect to a civy truck with a receiver hitch. Air compressor to fill the tires if necessary.
Being only 30 minutes out I wouldn't bother with anything else.

dm22630

Re: RE: Trailer Removal - Tools required?

doghead said:
Take someone to help you, you'll want them when you lift the landing leg and lower it onto your pintle hitch.
I use a high lift -----> http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/all-cast.html

You can hook & unhook a trailer by YOURSELF with one of them.

Kwai said:
M101 is 3/4 ton traliler and can be easily moved by 1 guy (when empty). Take a hammer to move the landing if it's stuck. Safety chaings as well since the stock chains sometimes aren't long enough to connect to a civy truck with a receiver hitch. Air compressor to fill the tires if necessary.
Being only 30 minutes out I wouldn't bother with anything else.
dang! I didnt realize that M101's were so small until I read your post :shock:

2cents

Attachments

Kwai

RE: Re: RE: Trailer Removal - Tools required?

That pic is a CDN M101 1/4 ton jeep trailer. The M101 here is the 3/4 ton trailer pulled by M37/M715/CUCV trucks.
For the typical 1.5 ton M105/M113 trailer I use a bottle jack or a hi-lift to lift it up and even then it is still useful to have a 2nd set of hands to help lift the landing leg in place.

1956_4x4

I'd have the following on hand when picking up a trailer:

1. Air source for the tires
2. Tire pressure gauge
3. Penetrating fluid
4. Grease gun
5. Socket set to check the lug nuts
6. Jack
7. Electrical tape and wire (if picking up with a military vehicle)
8. Magnetic lights (if picking up with a civilian vehicle)
9. Some type of pintle hook hitch (if picking up with a civilian vehicle)

I used 1-7 on the last two trailers that I picked up. The NDT tires can look like the air pressure is fine, but can really be low and this can cause problems down the road. Be sure to check those tires!

Smitty

mtnpatriot

Well I have the following:
2. Tire pressure gauge
3. Penetrating fluid
6. Jack (Hi-Lift)
I don't have
4. Grease gun
I'll stop by a gas station right off base to check/fill up air pressure. Where are the fittings that I should use a grease gun? I don't know JACK about these trailers and am just a bit pensive about making a 650 mile trip with one.

Also, I am pretty much by myself when it comes to hitching it up; my 100 pund wife is here but that is it. Maybe the GL guy will have pity on me!? :oops:

mtnpatriot

Well I have the following:
2. Tire pressure gauge
3. Penetrating fluid
6. Jack (Hi-Lift)
I don't have
4. Grease gun
I'll stop by a gas station right off base to check/fill up air pressure. Where are the fittings that I should use a grease gun? I don't know JACK about these trailers and am just a bit pensive about making a 650 mile trip with one.

Also, I am pretty much by myself when it comes to hitching it up; my 100 pund wife is here but that is it. Maybe the GL guy will have pity on me!? :oops:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're going to own military equipment your going to need a grease gun so I'd go on and pick one up. There are fittings on the jack and the spring ends.

You won't need to have max pressure in the tires to tow it home empty (it will probally bounce alot if you do). Just enough so the tires wear good.

Brent13

Thanks for all the tips. I am heading to Ft. Carson in the morning. I will throw in a tire pressure gauge and think I am set with all the other tools on the list. I am sure I am going in with way too many tools, but better prepared I say. Wish me luck....

Brent