• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer tailgate chain canvas NSN? size dimensions

krall

ok I have been searching long enough to no avail Ill just put this out there

and yes I have looked the tm up and down to the best I could and cant find this particular part

I want to make the canvas protector parts for my trailer from the tailgate chain section got mine with out them but like the more complete look with them on, I have seen them but cannot get the dimensions for them unfortunatly, I can just guess but if someone could give me some measurments of theirs I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to have to re cut so I would like a more educated guess. thanks

krall

yeah I seen him at my last show. I forgot then that I needed them and now I already bought the canvas so I am looking to make them still, mabie I can call him up see if he has them thanks

harleyhouse I really like how that looks, you satisfied with how that set up works?

Ratch

I like that cable look. I think the canvas will accelerate rust on your chains. As long as you don't need the chains made quiet, you're probably better off without the canvas covers.
I personally like the canvas over chains, but going without them is probably a little better.

steelandcanvas

I think the canvas will accelerate rust on your chains. I personally like the canvas over chains, but going without them is probably a little better.
I don't think it's as bad as one would think. The chain covers have a "weep hole" in the middle to help with drainage of the water. I've had just some minor surface rust on my chains. They also have hog rings on them to keep them in the proper place on the chain.

Last edited:

Ratch

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks.

I also just remembered, a trailer I blasted and repainted didn't have the canvas on the chains. After the first 4 hour haul, the chains had worn off the new paint down to shiny new metal in a perfect arc under the chain links contacting the trailer. Canvas probably would have also done it, but I'll bet much slower.

hilber

Back in the 50's and 60's on the farm we used old bicycle tire tubes over our chains to keep them from beating up the bodies. Telling my age now, but I was merely a youngan then.:razz:

mistaken1

I made new ones out of cordura nylon. These new ones are larger and longer than stock. And yes I put weep holes in them.

The canvas ones are just barely big enough to fit over the hook. I will try to find my one old one and measure it.

Last edited:

mistaken1

The canvas cover I took off measures 11-1/2" long and 3-1/16" wide.

Those are finished measurements.

The fold to the sewn seam is right at 2-3/4" (inside when flat).

The new ones I made are as long as the chain and most likely 3" from the fold to the seam. They are loose. The cordura is the woodland 1000 denier stuff. Because of the DWR finish inside I put weep holes opposite the seam and then on both sides 90 degrees from the seam. I have since learned to use a small soldering iron with a round tip to melt the holes in the nylon rather than cut them in with a punch.

Attachments

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Very nice. A lot better coverage than the OEM units. Good idea punching the weep holes with a soldering iron, I'm sure your intent was to seal the holes and prevent fraying as opposed to a punch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks