• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Theft

ENTRAIL

:?:My question is about trailer theft and maybe you help. I know you can lock the receiver to the hitch. I know you can lock a pintle hitch when it is off the hitch. How do you prevent theft of your trailer when it is all hooked up? What's to deter someone from just uncoupling your trailer and drive off? Thanks for any input.:beer:

ENTRAIL

Never heard of it, went to three trailer places in Detroit area, and no one knows what I'm talking about. I will google trailer lock pins and see what appears.:beer:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also remove the ring, "lunette" from the trailer if it is removable. Thats what I did.

Or what the Gimp said.2cents

faw3

How do you prevent theft of your trailer when it is all hooked up? What's to deter someone from just uncoupling your trailer and drive off?

I have my two safety chains padlocked together with a big lock near the hitch. You place the chain hooks into the holes on the hitch reciever then use the padlock to ensure they can't be lifted out.

Easy...and will deter the casual thief which is what I worry about.

Whitey

A friend of mine runs a BIG cable with loops on each end through the holes in the wheels of his trailer and is secured by a heavy padlock. He leaves it parked on the street with no problems.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, if its a military trailer, it probably has parking brakes. Drill a hole through the handle so that the brakes stay on.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You think a padlock is enough to deter a trailer theft?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regardless of what you do, if the thief wants it bad enough, he or she will get it. To deter the casual thief, I padlock the safety chains to the tow vehicle. Keep in mind that the safety chains can be removed from the trailer tongue with basic hand tools unless they're welded on.

Last edited:

Truckoholic

You sit in trailer with gun. Jerk comes and tries to steal trailer, you shoot jerk with gun. Not only your trailer no get stolen, but you save someone else from getting their trailer stolen as well. :D

wmmscott

trailer locks

The ones that will fit through the hole are small in construction. A good hammer would bust one.

I'd suggest that you back your trailer into a light pole or tree, or do the cable thing. Nothing will prevent a real thief.

Huge safety chains and some large padlocks are my only other suggestion.

Ressoldier

Not sure how common trailer theft is once it is hooked up to the TV, I would say almost all occur when it is not coupled in storage. When I go to someplace I try to find the outer edge of the parking lot and then place trailer between my truck and another object. Usually less cars around to hide someone uncoupling then moving trailer to his TV and driving off with it. That is way to obvious of movement and people would notice it easily. Besides it isnt that easy to wrestle our 1000+lb trailers around. So all these answers will help:

place trailer between TV and an object
padlock through safety chains
Cable lock axle wheels
padlock through parking brake levers
pin lock through pintle

Jtspendy

If you are storing the trailer for any amount of time, take the wheels off and let it sit on blocks. Just be sure you store the wheels somewhere enclosed so a theif can't just put them back on.

goldneagle

They make a lock assembly for a lunette. I will try to attach a picture.

$27 at anythingtruck.com

I have used this locking system for over 7 years. I like the fact that the lock is recessed into the pocket. I think it is a #5 lock size.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks