• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny Failure, atleast it happened close to home.

FM5332FF

Or in the yard, So I was going to take a spin around the neighborhood in my bobbed deuce so I could see if I would be able to make it to my girlfriends dads shop so I can do a tranny swap, mine had been making noise for the past couple of months, and I changed the fluid before and it quieted down a little bit, but after I bobbed it and drove it home it started making more noise, a little chirping then grinding then it sounded like a monkey in my gearbox with a big hammer. So I went to drive it around the other day and it would not move, it just made a loud banging noise so I quickly pushed in the clutch and shut it down. I got a new (used) tranny from matt up in live oak a couple of days ago, so yesterday when I got home from work (after I took a couple hour nap due to the local idiots playing with knives all night long) I decided that I was going to drop the old tranny. so I took the floor panels out and started to disconnect all the linkages to take out the tranny, after that was done I removed the bolts holding the tranny in and then using some rope I lowered the tranny down, before it got all the way down on the pallet I heard some stuff falling out, I was thinking oh great what else is broken, so when it was all the way lowered I got out of the truck and went under to take a look and I was amazed what I found, it looks like the monkey that was inside did his best to try and get out, there was a nice about 3 inch long hole in the casing where the input shaft comes out of the transmission. I opened up the case and some of the teeth look beat up too. Also I noticed some rust on the gears like there had been some water in the case at one point in time. So now I’m off to finish replacing the tranny... Here are some pictures...

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not usual. Bet somebody ran it dry once. Good that you weren't on the road somewhere. Although I did have a T-case input bearing go once, in an M211.

Lee in Alaska

tm america

you did a good job on that input bearing that will tear up the input shaft like that real quick.you still should of had fourth gear though since it doesnt use the counter shaft in fourth.so rather that having it towed you could of put it in low and in fourth gear to get you home

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I see what the little plate/hatch under the bellhousing is for. It's to remove the pieces from the transmission that are no longer needed.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would advise replacing the pilot bearing in the flywheel. Looks like it might have suffered with the input shaft all over the map like that.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Patrick, it also lets the gear oil (that is making your clutch slip) out! I learned this recently. After I sprayed the flywheel down with carb/choke cleaner, that plate stayed OFF! :twisted:

FM5332FF

so out with the old in with the new. I Have the new tranny cleaned and ready to go in, I went ahead and repaced the throw out bearing that way there will be no worries there, if there are any problems in the future atleast it wont be the first time removing the tranny. It would be done by now but im on duty and it seems every day that i have been off it has been a monsoon out at my house. Hopefully i can get it in tomorrow

tm america

ya its fun when the return spring breaks mine broke when i was pulling into work in a tight spot next to the bosses truck .full throttle wasnt exactly what i needed right then:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks