• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TRANNY HELP ! ! ! !

bozozimbo

I took my duece to town today to pick up a load of steel for a trailer i'm building.
After leaving the steelyard I shifted out of 1st high and hit 2nd and the tranny locked there. I couldnt get it out of 2nd for love nor money. I putted home that way on the side of the road....maybe 2-5 miles an hour.
When I got home I pulled the floor up and took the shift tower top off the tranny expecting to see a crumbled up synchro pack. The synchros looked good. I put a magnet down in the bottom of the case and got very little metal. The shift forks looked great.
I put everything in neutral.....reassembled......I got reverse 1st...4th and 5th....I cannot get the 2nd /3rd gears to move. I even changed the oil.

Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

Jimbo

meckanic

Guessing to say, you lost the synchros. ( I am not there, I did not see the damage) This is my best guess.

bozozimbo

I worked the shift tower over in my vise...it worked flawlessly so I dont think its a detent. That was my first thought and an easy fix.
The synchro looks good.....nothing missing or broken......no chunked teeth.
What I am hoping is that its got a piece of junk in it and is jamming it. I'm gonna run it around a bit in the morning and see if I can loosen it up.

Im hoping I dont have to go thru the tranny...I hate the smell of 90 weight.

Jimbo

FrankUSMC

My friends WWII 6x6 did the same thing. After he got a new rebuilt transmission, he found the problem, it was a small part of a spacer ring had jammed the gear ( the ring had broken apart and a small part of it had jammed the gear) and easy fix, but he had already put the new transmission in.
One of the few, Frank

bozozimbo

Re: RE: TRANNY HELP ! ! ! !

Recovry4x4 said:
Odd! BTW, I love the smell of 90wt in the morning. Smells like green trucks!
Spend a few years as a diesel mechanic like I did...you might agree then.
You can wash your hands for hours and not get that smell out.

Jimbo

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: TRANNY HELP ! ! ! !

Already spent a few years as a mechanic. Hate the work, still love the smell. No body sits near you at the bar after working in the stuff for a day.

rdixiemiller

Wimps. A real mechanic can eat a grilled cheese sandwich with black hands. The grease running down your arms from the sandwich should clean the black grease off in streaks.
Does keep you really regular as well!

linesplice

More dang little things on these trucks seem to break than you can shake a fist at. I know most of them are old, but it's not like they have 300,000 miles on them either. What gives? You'd think a military spec. vehicle would have more durable parts for something with maybe 40,000 miles.

devilman96

:jumpin: starting a fight again :jumpin:

Yeah those trannys... Stay away from synthetics!!! A bag of spare parts every 20K miles and GL1 is the way to go!!! :roll:

Yeah yeah yeah.... I know... It been a long weekend and I need ta have a little fun!!!

By the by... Ever notice that grilled cheese sandwiches do a great job of removing the black stained grease from your finger tips while eating them? Never minded that but I do hate the stink of GL.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I find that Pizza as the greatest at fingertip degreasing. Tastes good too!

linesplice

I use paint stripper. It doesn't taste as good as grilled cheese though. I used to use Trichloroethylene, but it kills mice just as good as it takes off grease, so I figure it's not too good to bathe in.

linesplice

Right. Well, if you lost your synchro, you'd still be able to rev-match yourself into gear if you are good. If you still can't get it in, then those gears need a look at. The problem with material in the gears is that if you get it out, you might lose a different set of gears when it gets lodged in them. Easy goes it.

Hookin1

First check to see if 2nd gear will turn on the shaft......you can pull the output shaft without pulling the tranny.....i just rebuilt mine and 2nd gear was in the process of welding itself to the shaft.2nd gear turns all the time even when you are in 5th gear.check the center of your gears for discoleration next to the shaft...here is a previous link..........http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6022&highlight=

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you pulled the top off, did you try to run the shifter throught all the selections. Mabye the shift rods are binding.

bozozimbo

ken said:
When you pulled the top off, did you try to run the shifter throught all the selections. Mabye the shift rods are binding.
OH Yeah I bench tested the shifter forks and detents All worked well. I think its as one of the guys said......that something has gotten loose in the synchro. I tried working the synchro with a small bar back and forth and its too tight to work . The 4th 5th synchro works fine. Once again....there was nothing magnetic in the bottom of the trans.

Jimbo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks