• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny Leak and Exhuast Leak

akcucv

First problem is i have a tranny leak between the transmission and transfer case. Is it as simple as unbolting and sliding the transfer case back, cleaning the mating surfaces and applying RTV? I really hope so, and is there any other seal in there that could be leaking before i try this?

Second is i have an exhaust leak where the exhuast manifold bolts to the exhaust. One of the studs is broken. Would it be easier to just remove the manifold and mess with it, or order a new manifold? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

chicklin

There should be a rear tranny output seal and a t-case input seal. Both should be pretty easy to replace, but you may have to take the cross member and t-case adapter out. Be sure to support the tranny when doing this. You shouldn't have to drop the tranny to do either one. The front tranny seal is the one that sucks.

As far as the exhaust goes, are you talking about where the manifold meets the down-pipe? If so, you should be able to just replace the studs and get a new gasket. I would leave the manifold where it is, unless you can't get to the studs to replace them.

akcucv

thank you for your reply. That answered all of my questions.
Yes it is were the manifold meets the down pipe. Hopefuly the stud comes out, i am going to soak it with wd-40 over night and see where that gets me.
If i have to remove the t-case adapter, wouldn't i pretty much be dropping the t-case out of the truck?

chicklin

Re: RE: Tranny Leak and Exhuast Leak

akcucv said:
If i have to remove the t-case adapter, wouldn't i pretty much be dropping the t-case out of the truck?
Yep. There is nothing supporting the t-case itself. Here is how I would do it (having just spent 3 days underneath mine):

- Support the tranny
- Unhook the t-case shift linkage and electrical connector
- Unbolt the front driveshaft from the t-case
- Unbolt the t-case from the adapter. The t-case will drop out and slide off the rear driveshaft at this point, so be prepared to support it.
- Remove the crossmember (did I mention to support the tranny?)
- Unbolt the adapter from the tranny

At this point, the rear of the tranny should be exposed and you've got access to all 3 seals on the t-case (input, 2 outputs front/rear). Put everything back together in reverse order.