• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny Shifts (Again)

bbqfan5909

I thought I fixed my tranny problems by adjusting the regulator by the air filter (moving it back to the fire wall)... It still shifts hard a WOT but will shift at low RPMs if I let off the gas but not at normal speeds. Any suggestions what the problem may be?? The vac lines seem to check out just fine.

motormayhem

It will always shift hard at wide open throttle as the line pressure in the transmission is highest then. You might want to get an adjustable vacuum modulator and see if adjusting that helps.

kennyw

The valve mounted on the side of the IP is a common failure point. It is supposed to give you an adjustment point to mimic the manifold vacuum of a gas motor, but if it is stuck on full vacuum, the tranny won't shift right. The vacuum pump (located between the air cleaner and firewall on the back of the motor) is not adjustable for the amount of vacuum. Turning it won't change anything.

bbqfan5909

Where is the modulator on the tranny located...pictures or directions to it would be great. And, how do I adjust it? Sorry for all the questions, really dont have much time to trouble shoot.

kennyw

He wasn't saying to get an adjustable vacuum pump, there is an adjustable vacuum modulator on the transmission that you can adjust as well.

Later,
Joe
No one said anything about getting an adjustable vacuum pump. His original post said he adjusted something between the firewall and the air cleaner... that was likely the vacuum pump which I was letting him know did not do anything to help the situation.

I thought I fixed my tranny problems by adjusting the regulator by the air filter (moving it back to the fire wall)...

motormayhem

No one said anything about getting an adjustable vacuum pump. His original post said he adjusted something between the firewall and the air cleaner... that was likely the vacuum pump which I was letting him know did not do anything to help the situation.
He was talking about the shift valve on the injector pump not the vacuum pump. Moving it towards the firewall tells the tranny to shift sooner. The modulator is what the vacuum line goes into on the side of the transmission it is on the passenger side right under where the dipstick goes into the transmission. To adjust it you need to remove the hose into it and there is a set screw looking thing in the nipple move it out for smoother and earlier shift and in for harder later shifts. It is not as dramatic of a change as adjusting the valve on the injector pump but it may help. Also if there is no set screw in the nipple of the modulator (as the stock one was not adjustable) you can pick up an adjustable one for less than $20 and it is one bolt to replace.

In this picture it in the brass colored piece with the hose hanging from it right behind the bell housing.

Attachments

bbqfan5909

The regulator where the vaccum lines connect...it looks like its been replaced. I think this is what is giving me the problems. The part number is (14057219). I checked the vaccum pump and it seems to be working (put finger over it and it had a good amount of suction). I am wondering if that part may be the wrong one. I adjusted it a couple weeks ago and it worked and it sat for a couple days and now is not. All vac lines were replaced today, so that is for sure not the problem.

bbqfan5909

Also, how do I check if the kickdown switch is bad. If I go from D to 2nd and back to D it seems to hold gear fine?

Thanks for all the help guys!

bbqfan5909

Replaced the modulator on the trans and it did nothing (adjustable). I turned the screw out as well and it made no difference. I have suction from the regulator and vac lines have been replaced. What else is there??? Kickdown switch? My speedo does not currently work, but it seems to shift around 25 in second (and really hard).

Thanks,

Casey

kennyw

Does the valve on the IP work? You can get them from the Chevy dealer still for about $125. You can test it manually with the truck running, just see if moving the throttle changes the amount of vacuum going through the valve.

Also, check your transmission fluid and make sure it does not smell burnt.

bbqfan5909

Ok, here is the update. Installed an adjustable modulator and nothing...so I then hard wired the vac line from the pump to the modulator. It shifted very very soon so I troubled shot it to the regulator. Well, I replaced the regulator on the IP and I can not seem to get it to work?? Is there a certain way to put this on the IP or what? Could the metal vac line be bad somewhere?

Westech

CPL
well you have to make sure the TPS is adjusted correct.. you can adjust it by moving it on the IP or the head of it screws up and down. Might have to play with it..... most of the time you twist the TPS to the front and you get less Vacuum and to the fire wall more Vacuum

bbqfan5909

Ok, had some time to snap a photo...where do I need to adjust. The modulator and regulator is adjusted for the softest shifts possible. I am not sure I even put the regulator on right? Like I said before, it shifted very soft when it was directly connected to the pump. Where do I go from here?

Attachments

motormayhem

I am sorry, what is TPS? I know to adjust the regulator back and forth...this is frustrating!
Throttle Position Sensor. It is what you have pictured. If it works when the vac is hooked to the modulator then I would check that steel line for plugs, pinches, or spots that have rusted or worn a hole on something. You could pull the line and blow a small amount of air though it and have someone on the other side see if he can put his finger on it and feel pressure build up cause if it is leaking then pressure cant build or if air doesn't go through it is plugged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks