• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans build: Input shaft to input bearing cap fit dimensions?

DavidWymore

This week I will be attempting to rebuild a trans for my '70 from some parts transmissions. In reading through TM 9-2520-246-34-1, I cannot find the dimension for the OD of the input shaft where it fits the sealing area of the sleeve or ID of the sealing area of the cap/sleeve that fits over it. I'm sure one of you longtime duece owning/repairing gurus has the specs.

Thanks

DavidWymore

No, just check to make sure my input shaft and sleeve are OK before I build a trans. How's the aftermarket one with the seal coming?

Trying to build a trans for the '70 from parts. The one I got from the boneyard is making a racket in 5th, 2nd burned up. Have two blown up ones, the one that was in my '70 when I got it, and the one I got from Daniel. Main shafts and 2nd are bad in them, the one in the '62 A1 looks like it might be serviceable, but the bottom end is noisy, probably from water/dirt contamination. I have good bottom end parts from the two blown up ones, so hopefully I can build one good enough for the road ('70) and one good enough for the yard ('62 A1).

Jeepsinker

If you get the Waterloo kit it comes with a new mainshaft and both gears for 2nd and 5th. I also have a new stock mainshaft and gears for 2nd and 5th from the brand new trans that I put my waterloo kit in if you end up needing those.

Jeepsinker

My seal adapter is working great so far. Still have to get around to getting a batch made up for you guys. I will get it done, sooner or later. The planets just have to align right.

DavidWymore

If you get the Waterloo kit it comes with a new mainshaft and both gears for 2nd and 5th. I also have a new stock mainshaft and gears for 2nd and 5th from the brand new trans that I put my waterloo kit in if you end up needing those.
I may end up needing a stock 2nd and main. Tom has been helping me on the fb M35A2 group and I would like to do the kit, but can't right now.

Hmm, something just occurred to me...if you have a brand new main and 2nd, can you check how much the gear wobbles on the shaft if you twist it 90* to the shaft? According to my calcs, the OD of the gear should move .068" if the bore is loose .004". If we know for sure, it would help with junkyard trans inspection.

https://youtu.be/It-nsRPubio

rustystud

I may end up needing a stock 2nd and main. Tom has been helping me on the fb M35A2 group and I would like to do the kit, but can't right now.

Hmm, something just occurred to me...if you have a brand new main and 2nd, can you check how much the gear wobbles on the shaft if you twist it 90* to the shaft? According to my calcs, the OD of the gear should move .068" if the bore is loose .004". If we know for sure, it would help with junkyard trans inspection.

https://youtu.be/It-nsRPubio
Looked at the video, and that is bad David ! There should only be a few thousandths clearance.

DavidWymore

It's a heck of a lot better than my others. I'll press it off and measure today. I have another 2nd gear to try too. Deuce is scheduled for maneuvers in the desert this weekend, so this one may have to suffice for the time being. Don't have time to wait for one to get here from 'sinker or M35Tom.

DavidWymore

Bump...rebuilding trans, would be nice to have those dimensions. I don't think either was leaking, so I guess I could just go with the parts with the closest fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks