• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans fluid treatment

SSG ALBANESE

drained my trans, checked all gears for missing teeth. All is good. Jack link needs a good tightening and lube.

Im going to fill the trans with 80 90 but for some reason want to add some Lucas oil stabilalizer.

Has as anyone done this and good idea?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put on a helmet. Plenty of threads regarding tranny lube and as many opinions. I have had 80W/90 in it and it worked. I upgraded the overdrive and now run a no frills 40W, as specified by the overdrive vendor. Shifts great.
The military, like any large fleet, likes to standardize to simplify the logistics chain. 80W/90 in the pumpkins, tranny, transfer case and winch drive makes sense for them. Their choice always balances the needs of the machinery with cost and supply - and the machinery does not always win. Back in the day, Spicer seemed to prefer a 30W oil for the tranny.

FWIW, make sure you oil is yellow metal safe. Most gear oils nowadays are. GL-5 by itself is not, but if it is labelled multi-spec, such as GL-5, GL-4, GL-3, it is fine. Some say to stay away from motor oil types or non-detergent oil, because they do not have the high pressure additives good for transmissions and have other additives that transmissions do not need.

I put Lucas stabilizer in my engine and tell myself that I can see the difference in how fast oil pressure rises. Is it true? I want to believe it. I have no experience with it in the tranny or transfer case.

Last edited:

SSG ALBANESE

Ok got it broken down. Top cover ready to go back on. Lady going to pick me up another tube of grease for the jack shaft. It was loose for sure. As I was spinning the jack I would engage the t case allowing to stay in place, low and behold when I was moving the t case shift lever I could see the whole t case move slightly so I know NOW it needs to get re-torqued. Put 64 ounces of Lucas oil stabilizer in and about a gallon of 80 90. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Barely enough room to walk to the tool box lol

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use an oil that is GL-5 and MT-1 rated, Needs to be yellow metal safe. I also use Lucas Oil Stabilizer, Does is help, Well I do not know, But It make me fill good, LOL.

Kharville

Put on a helmet. Plenty of threads regarding tranny lube and as many opinions. I have had 80W/90 in it and it worked. I upgraded the overdrive and now run a no frills 40W, as specified by the overdrive vendor. Shifts great.
The military, like any large fleet, likes to standardize to simplify the logistics chain. 80W/90 in the pumpkins, tranny, transfer case and winch drive makes sense for them. Their choice always balances the needs of the machinery with cost and supply - and the machinery does not always win. Back in the day, Spicer seemed to prefer a 30W oil for the tranny.

FWIW, make sure you oil is yellow metal safe. Most gear oils nowadays are. GL-5 by itself is not, but if it is labelled multi-spec, such as GL-5, GL-4, GL-3, it is fine. Some say to stay away from motor oil types or non-detergent oil, because they do not have the high pressure additives good for transmissions and have other additives that transmissions do not need.

I put Lucas stabilizer in my engine and tell myself that I can see the difference in how fast oil pressure rises. Is it true? I want to believe it. I have no experience with it in the tranny or transfer case.
:funny: Put on a helmet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks