• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trans help

rizzo

my 1008 won't shift until the motor is wound up all the way.
I changed the vacum shift controller and that didn't fix it. I felt for vacum on the tube hooked to the shift controller and I could barely feel it.

What is my next step?

TacticalTruck

Shift controller where? at the trans or the injection pump? I guess I'd check vacuum at the vacuum pump. If that is good, check all vacuum lines and kick down switch on the side of the injection pump. Front Line has the vacuum pumps.

vacum...

when you say "vacume shift controller" i assume you mean the one on the trans...if so ,trace the vac line up to the vacume controller mounted on the IP.feel for any kinks or breaks in the vac line on the way.
check vac at the IP...then same procedure back to vac pump...check vac pump for good vacume.
Trace ALL the lines.any breaks will lead to poor shifting.the modulator on the IP can be adjusted,but iv'e never done it.The shift controller on the trans can be replaced easily,if required.
If the pump is not providing vacume.you will likely need a new one...but i read on another forum that someone with the same trouble fixed his vac pump by carfully opening the diaphragm side and coating the split diaphragm with a good layer of RTV.then reasembled carefully...it worked for him,but i'd suggest having a good one on hand before experimenting... :) .
trace all the lines first and check full integrity of the system before replacing parts...it could be an easy cheap fix.

rizzo

it is the kick down switch. I bypassed it and it shifts fine. Doesn't kick down. (I have to do it manually). I will check into it next week.this thing is geared so low, it doesn't seem like it even needs first gear.

Dieselsmoke

My 1009 won't shift at all now. Was on the way to our Ruffin' It trip and a seal failed, pumped all the fluid out.... aua aua aua aua

rizzo

how fast do you guys go in the 1008? I was driving 55 and seems like the motor was screaming. I'm used to 2100 rpm's in a semi. so even 2600 seems like alot to me.

I run mine right around 55-60 on the speedo. I have run it at 60-65 if I was in a big hurry. It used to make me cringe but I guess I've gotten used to it.

If i remember right at 55 the engine is at 2850 RPM, and this is supposed to be the "optimal" RPM for the 6.2. The horsepower rating sticker on my air cleaner lists 155 hp @ 3600 RPM. I couldn't imagine running it that fast for any length of time, though.

No air yet, but it is on the agenda, hopefully before next summer.

mangus580

Rizzo, you all set? Was your kickdown switch maybe just stuck? I may have one if you need it PM me for details. TH400 is a thing of the past for me :-D

DS... it wont shift at all? Check to make sure the governer hasnt stuck? The TH400 will automatically shift out of 1st even if you put it there manually (at a certain RPM). If its not doing that, it tells me the governer is messed up. I have the tranny out of mine, but shipping from NY to CA might be 150-200.... (Iowa to NY was 100)

gasser

I just got back from running my M1009 on a 900 mile round-trip through GA/AL/MS - mostly cruised between 65 and 75 with no issues at all. Definitely got better gas milage at 65! But overall, 75 seemed to be the highest I was 'feeling comfortable' about taking it.
Still the original gearing and turning 32" super swampers.

-graham
http://m1009.com

cobra

gasser said:
I just got back from running my M1009 on a 900 mile round-trip through GA/AL/MS - mostly cruised between 65 and 75 with no issues at all. Definitely got better gas milage at 65! But overall, 75 seemed to be the highest I was 'feeling comfortable' about taking it.
Still the original gearing and turning 32" super swampers.

-graham
http://m1009.com
Nice, no arguments on that at all, anyways all? is there such thing as a 4 speed tranny for the 6.2 ?

cobra, a TH700R4 is a fairly straight forward swap, Mangus has recently done it to his truck and there are many out in the junkyards which were born with 6.2 / 700 / 208 from the factory. my 87 suburban was equipped as such when new.

mangus? do you have a write-up on your 700 swap? if he does, that is where you would likely start, cobra...

peace
Dave