• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans ISSUE!!!! Need quick advice!

caladin

Just pulled my trans pan and filter off. **** trans everywhere! What kind person makes a pan with out a drain plug.

Anyway..

When Im putting the transmission oil filter assembly back on with the bolt and the spacer I noticed the bolt does not go all the way snug with the filter and I can move the filter around on the bolt. Is that correct? No matter how many times I take it out an put it back on it the same?

Funny.. I cant remember when I unbolted it if it was loose like it is now... Followed the TM 9-2320-289-20 page 352 to 355 but it doesn't say.

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it is supposed to fit loosely. Just be sure you use the correct, stock spacer and ALSO make sure the plastic tube snaps firmly into the trans housing.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just pulled my trans pan and filter off. **** trans everywhere! What kind person makes a pan with out a drain plug.
Apparently GM never imagined the truck would outlast it's life expectancy long enough for you to get your hands on it. Besides, it would have cost another fifty cents per vehicle to do that.
I know some of those GM engineers, I'll have a talk with them tomorrow.

Okay, now how loose is loose so I know when I change mine?

Last edited:

197thhhc

Welcome to the wonderful world of GM trannys. I have put many plugs in these pans for easy draining. Gm always told use at the dealership they didnt put plugs in so people would have to remove the pan and then they would replace the filter. Instead of just draining and refilling. I always thought it was because they were cheap skates trying to save a buck. You can do a plug in your stock pan or Summit has a finned pan that has a plug. The fins are good for cooling at higher speeds.

caladin

Thanks everyone! by the way I see in the faq it says 4Q of fluid... I put in 4 and still show low.. any ideas other then add more?

MrBouncer

The thing about the tranny pan, you take it off what every 50,000 miles or so. By the time you needed it, you couldnt use it because it would be seized up. A drain plug would be something to break or leak.

firecontrol86

I was closer to 7 quarts when I did mine. I put the recommended amount in let the tranny get warmed up and added fluid. Repeat. Did that until it read in the hashes on the dipstick at idle.

JDBUCKSAVAGE

G'day First understand that your turbo 400, one of the best , most durable tranys, takes aprox. 13 quarts to fill when empty including the torque convertor. So, when you service it, you should change the filter DOH as you do when you change your motor oil. Tranny fluid is about 10 weight is subjected to temps way above engine oil and few owners change it at all. They only think engine oil changes, then their tranny takes a dump. So, it would be nice to have a drain plug on the torque convertor so one could change all the tranny oil, times 13 quartes + filter gasket to do it rite.p.s. dont forget to change your differential fluid as soo many NEVER do
JD

jj

Never saw a drain plug in a GM automatic until my '02 Savana, the 4L80e HAS a drain plug. So did the Goodwrench remanufactured transmission i put back in. Both plugs were rounded over and siezed. Can't pull 'em anyway! Maybe GM wouldn't be bankrupt today if they hadn't started putting drain plugs in the 4L80 pans? Nah, probably still broke anyway.

JUNKYARDJOHN

G'day First understand that your turbo 400, one of the best , most durable tranys, takes aprox. 13 quarts to fill when empty including the torque convertor. So, when you service it, you should change the filter DOH as you do when you change your motor oil. Tranny fluid is about 10 weight is subjected to temps way above engine oil and few owners change it at all. They only think engine oil changes, then their tranny takes a dump. So, it would be nice to have a drain plug on the torque convertor so one could change all the tranny oil, times 13 quartes + filter gasket to do it rite.p.s. dont forget to change your differential fluid as soo many NEVER do
JD
Tranny & rearend dope need to be clean also. I like to run a inline remote oil filter on one of my tranny lines, & run a decent trans. temp gage. AMAZINGLY.... I haven't had a tranny take a sh!t on me in over thirty years. They need a little p.m. too. If ya wait till ya see signs of problems... it's ussually too late. John 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks