• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans Leak

ssdvc

OK, I am trying to fix all leaks and drips coing from my truck. My driveway doesn't like it and neither does the wife. I am addressing two so far and while a friend of mine was checking out the underneath of my 09, he noticed a leak from this area:

IMG_3472.JPG

It is the shift arm for the trans and I assume that there is a shaft behind that arm and nut. it has a nice little drip going. Is this easily fixed with an "O-Ring" I can replace?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I am trying to fix all leaks and drips coing from my truck. My driveway doesn't like it and neither does the wife. I am addressing two so far and while a friend of mine was checking out the underneath of my 09, he noticed a leak from this area:

View attachment 866689

It is the shift arm for the trans and I assume that there is a shaft behind that arm and nut. it has a nice little drip going. Is this easily fixed with an "O-Ring" I can replace?
It is a seal ; https://www.classictransmissionsolu...MI596onuXG9wIVvhXUAR3wtgWnEAQYASABEgKjTPD_BwE

1651699908478.png

ssdvc

Awesome, thanks Porky. So I assume I just remove that nut, pull the arm off and fish the old seal out, then reinstall?

Keith_J

Fishing the seal out is easier with this tool:

There is a sharp shoulder on the shaft which can cut the new seal. This is why he used that mylar film. Thin heat shrink also works.

ssdvc

Thanks Keith. Where do you get the tool? That seal looks tough to remove without it and I will be doing while the trans is in the truck.

cucvrus

View attachment 866689

That is the shift arm for the transfer case on the NP208 C. That was NOT rebuilt.
NP208 Fully Rebuilt Transfercase - Hillbilly Wizard

This one was rebuilt. That seal is available at NAPA. Getting all the leaks fixed on 35+ year old vehicles is a full time labor intense job. Good Luck. I found changing the seal will work sometimes. But never all the time. Mud gets in the seal and like a pipe cutter grooves the shaft and makes a seal unsealable. I started taking units to shop that leak after a seal replacement because they require being split and the selector being changed to correct the leak. Almost 40 years and leaks and worn parts are bound to happen.
Amazon.com: oil drip pan for under car
I see catch pans under military vehicles at Fort Indiantown Gap all the time. Like Murphy's Law. Leakproof seals will.

Last edited:

ssdvc

Well crap ! Hey Rick, is that seal the same one I just ordered In an above reply), or a different part number?