• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans not shifting to second

pinbill

Hello-

Was on my way to work today on the highway and my m1009 suddenly felt like it went into neutral but it was still in gear. I didn't hear a clunk or bang or anything. I thought I put it in neutral by accident. I pulled off the highway, put it in drive, and it only went into first gear and would not shift into second. I tried the lower gears but they wouldn't shift into second either. I checked the transfer case shift lever, it is in 2wd. The trans fluid is full and does not smell burnt. Prior to this it was shifting very smooth with no banging or flaring. I left it in a parking lot. Does anyone have any ideas what I should look for when I go to pick it up after work? Hopefully a line or something got disconnected, or does it sound like the trans is shot? Is it safe to drive it slow to a mechanic on the other side of town?

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Thanks

Bill

wkbrdngsnw

Its what tells the trans how fast its going through weights and centrifugal "force." It is driven off the tail shaft by a plastic gear held on by a roll pin that can shear. Its hidden behind a cover with four bolts on the rear passenger side of the trans, right above the C.V. Be careful not to get dirt in there when the cover is off because transmissions do not like it at all. Its a very cheap, and common kit to fix it if that is the problem.

lilymonster

BILL,
We see this a lot on CUCV's, especially when there is funky weather (freezing, thawing, snow, etc). We also see it when a CUCV has been sitting for a long time. Anyway, what it is is the vacuum line going into the trans either pops off or degrades to the point where it no longer keeps vacuum. There are actually two hoses I believe if I am remembering correctly. check these first before you go tearing anything apart. 90% of the time we experience this symptom it this vacuum line is the culprit. GOod luck with it. --Jeff

4bogginchevys

based on the "symptoms" it doesn't sound like the vaccuum line to me, line problems are usually marked by a hissing sound or the trans winds way up before shifting....but does shift, a very positive shift causing the tires to chirp in my case. Couldn't hurt to do the hoses while your already greasy though, good luck2cents

pinbill

The transmission shifted so nice before this happened, so I was very surprised when it did. I had just been bragging to everyone I saw about how awesome the truck is.

I already replaced the vacuum lines to the vacuum pump when I installed a temp gauge. Have been reading a bit on the governor, sounds easy enough to put in. I will start there.

Does anyone know where to get one of the governor rebuild kits??

4bogginchevys

Junkyard, if one is close enough to you. Look for a early 80's 1/2 ton 4x4....i've seen a few with the 6.2/TH400. I got a truck just like this for free once just for driving a different way home from work.:idea:

pinbill

Thanks for the response, seems like a good part to get new if I can, since it is cheap and is prone to break.

Anyone know of a place to get one unused?

NightOwl

The bragging will get you every time. ha ha

See if the problem continues after the truck cools down. I picked up my new '95 Dodge Ram 3500 and drove it for 2 hours with no problems. I stopped for a drink and when I started up again, my truck wouldn't shift out of first. I left it overnight and it ran fine the next day. I'm not sure what my issue is either.

pinbill

I fixed it!! I fixed it!!! Here I am bragging again, dahhhh!!

Replaced the governor, $2.50 saved me $1700. Thank you wonderful hosts!!!!!!

pinbill

I got it from transtar in denver 303 307 1999, they are listed as (there are two sets of numbers for the gear and gasket not sure which it it)

A34684/ K34411 Gear, 400 Gov Gear Kit

34306/3914D Gasket, 400 Gear Cover 64

Not sure if they ship or not, but take the pin out of the old gear, pull old gear, and then you need to drill a hole in the gear for the new pin, put in pin, and away you go (hopefully)

Good Luck,

Bill

pinbill

Not sure, but it is easy to take out and inspect. It is on the passenger side rear of the trans under a plate held on by four bolts.

wkbrdngsnw

It probably could cause a problem but if the 1-2 shift is good then it most likely is something other then the gear. It shouldn't shift out of first without the governor spinning. The weights might be hanging up though. Other then that I would try the unplugging the detent switch on the accelerator peddle. If that jammed it would be a really late 2-3 shift.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks