• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans seal and syncro

98hd

Looking at an M52a2. Guy says the seal for the input shaft is leaking, can't drive it more than 30 miles before the clutch slips from the leak.

Also, said the 4th gear syncro is bad.

Are these easily fixable? I know the trans will have to be dropped. Just wondering if these parts are very involved to replace, and easily available, or if I would be better off passing the truck up.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What input seal, that is a novel idea....
My guess is that the rear crank seal is the problem, is the leak gear oil or engine oil? (Jet black or some other color?)

THe 4th sychro is not uncommon to fail. Removal of the transmission is a bear, just plain HEAVY.
OR
Do you know how to drive a non-sychro transmission? A much easier taks than removal. (Unless it jumps out of gear, then gotta fix it.....)

98hd

Squirt-Truck said:
What input seal, that is a novel idea....
My guess is that the rear crank seal is the problem, is the leak gear oil or engine oil? (Jet black or some other color?)

THe 4th sychro is not uncommon to fail. Removal of the transmission is a bear, just plain HEAVY.
OR
Do you know how to drive a non-sychro transmission? A much easier taks than removal. (Unless it jumps out of gear, then gotta fix it.....)

I'm just going by what the guy told me, I haven't actually seen the truck in person.

williamh

well , how much is the truck??? if the price is reasionable then the repairs could be worth it ..

just rember , that these trucks will need repairs most are over 25 years old and will need some ( or a lot !! ) of tlc. seals on the transmission , transfercase , axels , input shafts , motor ,and brakes will all need to be replaced at sometime ..

if the truck has been sitting for any amount of time the seals will get hard and crack ... causing leaks ... unless you get it right out of the rebuild shop , these are going to be constant problems .

162tcat

I know this is an old post but did you fix the syncros? How tough was it? I'm looking at a M54A2 that grinds second and third a little and was just curious how hard it will be to fix.

Thanks

Trango

I've rebuilt the spicer 6000 series tranny, which is used in 5 tons of that vintage. It's hardly unique or difficult, just heavy. This was back when I was younger and stronger - I remember dead lifting the thing once, and weight was 300-350 without bell housing, 80-100 more with bell housing on.

Syncros should still be available. As I recall, main shaft rebuild was fairly straightforward.

Anyway, this was for the spicer 6855. I'm not sure what tranny you have in there, but none of those old syncro trannies are that complicated.

162tcat

Thanks for the info! It's a spicer 6352, does the tranny need to be pulled or can the syncros be replaced through the top cover? Is there anything else that commonly wears out on these transmissions that I should be watching for?

Thanks for the help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks