• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans Shift Points

ssdvc

OK, picked up the NAPA trans module and installed it this morning. Took her for a ride and nothing changed (*%&$ !!!!).

So, originally, I had about 15hg at the rubber hose at the trans. I did notice that the needle on the vacuum gauge bounced around quite a bit, but I am not a master mechanic and didn't pay too much attention to it. After I got done screwing around with everything and making some adjustments, I rechecked and adjusted vacuum to the recommended (TM) 8hg at the vacuum regulator. Checked all connections and everything was normal, but the vacuum gauge, at the trans module connection, bounced around........a lot !

So after I swapped out the trans module I took her for a test drive this morning and, as above, nothing changed. So I rechecked every vacuum connection I have (there aren't many) and now there is ZERO vacuum at the bottom connection of the Vacuum Regulator !! WTF !!! I am thinking the the Vacuum Regulator failed! I am about to put a spike through her oil pan !!

Anyway, I am now on the hunt for an Automatic Transmission Vacuum Regulator Valve. Anyone know where I can get one, or even what the correct part number for this part is ???

Thanks.

Last edited:

Keith_J

Last time I checked, the vacuum regulating valve is no longer made..New old stock is all that is left and only found on eBay. 14057219 is the GM part number.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, picked up the NAPA trans module and installed it this morning. Took her for a ride and nothing changed (*%&$ !!!!).

So, originally, I had about 15hg at the rubber hose at the trans. I did notice that the needle on the vacuum gauge bounced around quite a bit, but I am not a master mechanic and didn't pay too much attention to it. After I got done screwing around with everything and making some adjustments, I rechecked and adjusted vacuum to the recommended (TM) 8hg at the vacuum regulator. Checked all connections and everything was normal, but the vacuum gauge, at the trans module connection, bounced around........a lot !

So after I swapped out the trans module I took her for a test drive this morning and, as above, nothing changed. So I rechecked every vacuum connection I have (there aren't many) and now there is ZERO vacuum at the bottom connection of the Vacuum Regulator !! WTF !!! I am thinking the the Vacuum Regulator failed! I am about to put a spike through her oil pan !!

Anyway, I am now on the hunt for an Automatic Transmission Vacuum Regulator Valve. Anyone know where I can get one, or even what the correct part number for this part is ???

Thanks.
Hillbilly Wizard. brand new $60.00 Correction wrong model year. Sorry.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hillbilly Wizard. brand new $60.00 Correction wrong model year. Sorry.
Keith is right about E-bay Vacuum Regulator Valve Original Equipment 14057219 $132.00 Not sure if it is NOS or not but you don't seem to have a choice. I would call Hillbilly Wizard and talk to them to see what they can do to help you.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I gotta ask if the vacuum is coming in at the top of the vacuum valve at the throttle and going out to the trans at the bottom...I took a pic of mine just curious since mine did the same thing.

ssdvc

So I gotta ask if the vacuum is coming in at the top of the vacuum valve at the throttle and going out to the trans at the bottom...I took a pic of mine just curious since mine did the same thing.
On mine, the vacuum line from the vacuum pump head to the actuator is going to the top nipple with about 25hg in of vacuum on mine. Vacuum from the actuator to the transmission modulator comes out the bottom nipple and goes to the trans. At least I think that is the correct set up.

You should have 8 to 10 hg in of vacuum going to the trans.

ssdvc

Keith is right about E-bay Vacuum Regulator Valve Original Equipment 14057219 $132.00 Not sure if it is NOS or not but you don't seem to have a choice. I would call Hillbilly Wizard and talk to them to see what they can do to help you.
Thanks. I will give them a shout and see if they have any.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On mine, the vacuum line from the vacuum pump head to the actuator is going to the top nipple with about 25hg in of vacuum on mine. Vacuum from the actuator to the transmission modulator comes out the bottom nipple and goes to the trans. At least I think that is the correct set up.

You should have 8 to 10 hg in of vacuum going to the trans.
Crap I wrote it wrong...vacuum should be bottom and trans is top...swap them it'll work then...Oh and I set mine at 11 on the top hose at idle...shifts great.

ssdvc

LOL! I am hoping I have the hoses on the wrong nipples. That would make my day. I am heading out in about an hour. Hoses are swapped and I will report back tonight. Fingers crossed !!! 🤞

ssdvc

OK, swapped the hoses, attaching the vacuum source to the bottom and the hose to the trans to the top. Took a drive................no change. Other than a new Vacuum Regulator, I have no idea what it could be.

Along those lines, when driving the truck, if I let off the throttle, she will settle into 3rd gear. If I add a tiny bit of fuel, she stays where she is. If I push down further on the peddle she winds right up again. What is going on?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, swapped the hoses, attaching the vacuum source to the bottom and the hose to the trans to the top. Took a drive................no change. Other than a new Vacuum Regulator, I have no idea what it could be.

Along those lines, when driving the truck, if I let off the throttle, she will settle into 3rd gear. If I add a tiny bit of fuel, she stays where she is. If I push down further on the peddle she winds right up again. What is going on?
Do you have the correct vacuum at all the hoses after you rearranged the hoses? Have you serviced your transmission lately? Clean fluid and a clean filter. If you're not getting the correct vacuum to the transmission then it sounds like a possible bad VRV.

ssdvc

When it was down at Rick's place he had it rebuilt, so the trans should be GTG. I have not re-checked vacuum at all connections yet, I will try and get to that as soon as I am able.

She ran good and shifted nice and crisp right up until I changed the vacuum pump head.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Dang...at least you got them in the right spot now...is the vacuum regulator all the way forward?...all the way back gives it more vacuum so it'll shift later forward is less vacuum so it'll shift sooner...the trans should be set at 11 on the top vacuum line...it could be getting to much vacuum yet...I'd bet they put a new modulator in the trans when they rebuilt it but set it up for the vacuum you had...sounds like it needs dialed in some...shouldn't take much.

ssdvc

Thanks, that is my hope. Unfortunately, due to a medical procedure, I now won't get to try out that theory for about 6-8+ weeks, but I am hoping it is something simple. My wife is starting to look at me crosswise because of all the money I have recently spent on the truck. Oh well !

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When it was down at Rick's place he had it rebuilt, so the trans should be GTG. I have not re-checked vacuum at all connections yet, I will try and get to that as soon as I am able.

She ran good and shifted nice and crisp right up until I changed the vacuum pump head.
If you're getting the correct vacuum from the pump into the regulator, and after moving the VRV all the way forward and all the way back, and it doesn't change the shifting, you probably have a broken spring in your regulator. If you have the original regulator, it is probably shot.

Last edited:

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang...at least you got them in the right spot now...is the vacuum regulator all the way forward?...all the way back gives it more vacuum so it'll shift later forward is less vacuum so it'll shift sooner...the trans should be set at 11 on the top vacuum line...it could be getting to much vacuum yet...I'd bet they put a new modulator in the trans when they rebuilt it but set it up for the vacuum you had...sounds like it needs dialed in some...shouldn't take much.
The modulators are set at the factory to plug and play.
Whether it is a new trans or a rebuilt, it should not matter. The pump will pump what it is designed for if it is working properly. The adjustable modulators allow for fine-tuning, 2-4 MPH. If everything is working properly, and the VRV is set correctly, it will shift correctly without adjusting the modulator.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Why did you change the pump head if everything was working properly? Just wondering.

Skinny

I think I have two like new condition modulators. I'd be willing to part with them cheap. I now have a 4L80 so no need for it.

Really need to take a vacuum reading at the modulator. It's going to take some time to set it up with a tee fitting and some extra hose but it's a shit in the dark without knowing what is actually at the valve before it goes into the modulator.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The modulators are set at the factory to plug and play.
Whether it is a new trans or a rebuilt, it should not matter. The pump will pump what it is designed for if it is working properly. The adjustable modulators allow for fine-tuning, 2-4 MPH. If everything is working properly, and the VRV is set correctly, it will shift correctly without adjusting the modulator.
I got 8-9 mph shift changes with my adjustable modulator with 11 pounds set at the vrv....he moved the vrv with measuring the vacuum at the wrong end of the vrv so it is unkown what he's got at the modulator now...I'd bet the guys that rebuilt it adjusted the mod to get the shift it needed with the low vacuum...not a big deal...once he gets out of the medical stuff it's a few turns away from working right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks