• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trans shifting hard and late shifts, m1009

63bravo

trans shifted perfect when last driven , the temp in my area was around -20 last night , checked fluid on level ground while running in park hot , tested vacuum modulator on trans and vacuum source all tested good , hope i dont need a rebuild , any advice will be much appreciated , OH and a update to my generator charging ,had generators rebuilt and replaced belts , charging perfect , thanks too all that helped ..

goldneagle

When was the last time you replaced the vacuum hoses. Mine was doing that until I replaced the vacuum hoses and modulator valve. Maybe the low temperatures caused the hoses to crack.

63bravo

sounds right i took it for a spin after i fixed the generators , by that time it was -25 with tyhe win chill factor and she woul not shift out of 2 or it would ****t late, and i have never replaced any of the vac lines , ill go out in the morning and check all thoes lines , ill report bsck with my findings , thanks for the info , oh yeah 3 weeks ago when the temp was around 50 i drove it 300 miles and shifted perfect so lets hope its just a cracked vac line from this cold snap

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GE is right. The lines becoming sponges/cracking is the most common cause of this, and it is a very common problem with CUCV's. Follow all the lines carefully, there are some short little ones in hidden spaces, easily missed. A $2 fix that yields big results!

Cheers

goldneagle

If you do not mind me asking, what size vacuum line is needed and how many feet?
There are about 3 or 4 different diameter lines. Some are only 4" to 6" long. We took all the vacuum lines off and took them to Advanced Auto Parts to size up. It cost me less than $20 for all the hoses and the modulator valve combined. The Modulator valve was only about $12.

63bravo

lol we should inspect thoes lines on every pmcs ,preventive maintance checks and service maintenance , the kit could cantain all vacuum lines and connectors also a new modulator valve ..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kits...

A kit would consist of less than $10 of hose.

Not much profit margin in that, to help other that are not energetic enough to go to their local auto parts store. Add to that shipping.

Including a VVR, would entail stocking an obsolete product, at unknown cost, only to resell it(and compete with the same online sources that you probably purchased it from.)

Any of you old enough to remember the big TV dinner craze(1970's)? The end result was, overpriced meals, undersized proportions, and dissatisfied customers.

Your better off buying the ingredients and making your own meals.

Last edited: