• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans stuck in first gear but shifter moves

midcounty

I drove my truck to a friends place, and was turning it around. I went from reverse to 1st and then to neural. When I let the clutch out it was still in first. Now the shifter goes to any gear but first, and if in another gear it is locked up, two gears at once it seems. If in neutral position the trans is actually working in first gear. Anything I can do to fix in a hurry with out pulling top cover? Anyone have this happen? Hoping I don't need a new trans :(

Nonotagain

Pull the floor pan, then the top of the transmission. Get it over with since that's what going to happen to fix the forks.

A little anti-saize on the bolts makes putting it back together a little easier.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the 1st/Rev. shift rail sticks out of the cover housing about 1" (= normal position while in 1st) then try to pull it OUT (to the back of vehicle) into neutral position, which is approx. 2 inches, from tip of shaft to housing.
If that gets you out of gear then the shifter rail interlocking mechanism inside the cover is broken or worn out.
If not, or if that shaft already does stick out about 2" or more than the 1st/R shift fork prob. became loose on the shaft.
Either way the top cover should be removed and inspected before continue driving since anything that comes apart will fall down in between the gears....!

G.

Sorry, just noticed where you put: "... shifter goes to any other gear but first....." That would exclude the loose-fork-option, IMO.

Last edited:

Truckie

I had a similiar thing happen- Pull the top cover and refer to the transmission TM
9-2520-246-34; FIgure 3-3 for the sectional view- this is the neutral position that the transmission should be in when it goes back together- pulling the cover is not a big deal. I reallly should be inspected- I was able to fix mine and did not have permanent damage to the transmission.

midcounty

Thanks guys. Looks like I will be pulling top cover tomorrow. Now the next question. What could cause this and how do I make sure it doesn't happen again? Truck only has 25k miles on it, and appears well taken care of, so I am hoping it's nothing major here.

DieselBob

Thanks guys. Looks like I will be pulling top cover tomorrow. Now the next question. What could cause this and how do I make sure it doesn't happen again? Truck only has 25k miles on it, and appears well taken care of, so I am hoping it's nothing major here.
According to the manual it might be something as simple as a loose setscrew allowing the shift rail to slide through the shift fork without moving it. TM 9-2520-246-34-1, page 2-85. Hope this helps.

midcounty

Got my Deuce home. Went back and pulled the shift rod back to neutral and all worked well. Did it from under the truck, so didn't even have to lift the floor up. Now I wonder if it was just me jerking the shifter that caused it, or if I have a worn shifting mechanism that is going to need replacement parts.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my Deuce home. Went back and pulled the shift rod back to neutral and all worked well. Did it from under the truck, so didn't even have to lift the floor up. Now I wonder if it was just me jerking the shifter that caused it, or if I have a worn shifting mechanism that is going to need replacement parts.
Good for you!
If the shift mechanism was all OK you can jerk it like mad, it won't let two gears engage simultaneously. My suggestion is to check it out ASAP to see what happened. The bracket + set screw could be loose on the shaft or the shift plate bent or broken, something.... but no mystery!

G.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
25k on the speedo means nothing since they are often swaped/replaced. get another top cover, something on yours is worn.

tom

midcounty

Being new to this, where would be the best place to get a reliable top cover with out spending the price of getting another trans? I know a salvage yard I could get a trans from, but not sure what the price would be for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks