• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer case airlines

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a flex line from the TC to a connector on the crosspiece. From there the copper line runs along the inside of the frame rail on the passenger side to a point just in front of the cab, where it goes up to another connector that goes through the firewall. Another line runs inside the cab from that point to the switch, and then there is the flex line to bring the air pressure to the switch. Here's a pic of the inside the cab part.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boy, if you read that title too quick you may think something else. My first thought was "Welcome aboard Transfer Case Airlines"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hopefully someone can explain in detail. I am going to be converting my truck with a sprag to an air shift, so this will be very usefull.
Just to be clear, you understand that this requires the transfer case to be swapped correct? Plumbing up airlines will do nothing for a 2.5 sprag t-case.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy, I do understand that I have to change out the transfer case. My sprag has been acting up a little and that is why I am goint to convert it to an air shift.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just ordered a government rebuilt air shift transfer case yesterday and was surprised how much cheaper it is than when i bought one for a friends gmc pickup. Now all I need to do is buy the switch and air lines and slide it in the truck.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change to air-shift: you will be surprised how much better your truck will perform in soft sand, with all 3 axles now pulling at equal speed.

Cheaper: yes - while supply lasts... Better keep that -21 for spare parts!

G.

jrobinson5093

I installed my air shift today. One word to describe the whole day is heavy. Has any one ever made up airlines for the t case and not used the stock lines. If so what fittings and hoses did you use.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am hopefully going to install mine in a week or so. Do you have any pictures of how you put it in. Did you lift it from the bottom or go from the top of the cab? Were the airlines pretty easy to figure out where they went?

jrobinson5093

I have not installed the air lines yet. I used a come a long from the top. if you have a hard surface to work on I would use it. The hardest part was gettin the case under the truck. I pulled my seats out and the trans covers, It was pretty easy even if you have just a little wrench experience. NO pics sorry.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, that is sort of what I was thinking was to go in from the top of the truck. If you can take a few pictures and post them on how you run the air lines, it would be greatly appreciated. I ordered the complete airline kit, so I am hoping it will be pretty self explanatory.

jrobinson5093

I took a plug out of the place where the air line screws into the t case and some oil came out. Is this normal. I shot some air in the hole and I could hear a slight clunk and the front out put would not turn free any more, so I would figure it would be ok. And the switch I have leaks air when turned off is there a way to fix that.

JasonS

I installed my air shift today. One word to describe the whole day is heavy. Has any one ever made up airlines for the t case and not used the stock lines. If so what fittings and hoses did you use.
I used copper lines and flare fittings. I did not use the oem rubber airline between the transfer case and the hard line; seemed pointless as the transfer case doesn't move much and there is plenty movement in the hard line.

jrobinson5093

I found a bunch of old a/c machine fittings and hoses that I am gonna try and use with some steel brake line. If it dont work out then I will probably buy the whole kit if I can find one.

212sparky

I took a plug out of the place where the air line screws into the t case and some oil came out. Is this normal. I shot some air in the hole and I could hear a slight clunk and the front out put would not turn free any more, so I would figure it would be ok. And the switch I have leaks air when turned off is there a way to fix that.
when you turn the switch off it should leak air to bleed the air out to drop the front drive other wise it would not disengage your front end.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks