• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Bad Input Bearing

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shift colar on the synchro looks great. It does not look worn but does it measure. 677".it always shifted ok. Though. There are detents in the synchro itself though, so wouldnt that hold it in gear too? All the teeth on the synchros look good and not worn at all... im suprised. What do you think?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well we got the transfer case in today. Test drove just fine. When i put the transfer case i. I spun it in high range without the drive shafts in and i noticed that the input shaft goes in and out as it is under load a very little bit. I looked in the TM and did not see a spec that showed wha the spec is for the input shaft endplay. The only thing different with the input shaft than the rest is that the input has ball bearings and the counter and output shaft have tapered roller bearings. I just want to make sure its ok or if i have a problem. I am just worried bcause i wouldnt think it should move. The way the gears are cut, i can understand why the shaft wants to get pulled in and oulled out.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any specs to how much the input shaft should move in and out under torque? It does not seem like it should at all.... but you never know. Like I said, it is only a VERY little bit. It sounds nice and quiet with no unusual noises.

Last edited by a moderator:

volver

Which bearings did you replace and how much did you spend? I have a shopping cart will all the bearings in it. It totals 975 dollars!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the low range gear bearings from a parts transfercase. I also replaced the bearings on the counter shaft and the two main bearings on the output shaft (did not replace the bearing that supports the yoke on the output shaft) so the 4 bearings were about $200 i believe... something like that. I also changed seals for it and swapped in a better used yoke because the seal surface was not very good. Take extra care in getting the bearing preload as good as you can to the tight side of the tolarances per the TM. in my tapered bearing experiences, bearings loosen up as they wear in. So when I put mine together i eneded up taking some shims out to get the bearings as close as i can to .000" end play.

randygk

Boyce also has gaskets and bearings. I just purchased all the bearings and seals (not all from Boyce) for the air shift transfer case - about $ 900.00

volver

Took 2 weeks to pull transfercase, buy parts, have them shipped, buy arbor press, rebuild, paint, reinstall. Cost about $1000. Still whines. LOL.

replaced all bearings. used SKF 6210zz c3 for the low range gear. c3's have larger clearances and a higher rpm rating at 8500rpm. set end play of counter shaft and output shaft to .002in then removed a .003in shim to give them a preload. new gaskets and seals as well from Memphis equipment. filled with 80-90w gear oil and a limited slip aditive from car quest. (says stops gear noise).

My butt dyno says i picked up horses. It also shifts smoother and feels like it operates better. There is less slop in the drive line. when i release the clutch fast there is less of a clunk.

On to the axles i guess.

Lloyd B

I had the exact same bearings go out on my recent trip from California to Tennessee with my newly acquired 66' Am-Gen, I luckily stopped mine in Amarillo after feeling a vibration and checking the temperature of the case and drained the oil and found the bearing cage pieces stuck to the magnet, after I drove it to the repair shop the next morning and the T/C was removed and opened the rest of the cages from both bearings were stuck to the magnet, once they go, they seem to go fast. oddly enough I could wiggle the input shaft up and down considerably when it was in the truck but it would move one iota out of the truck FYI the transfer case measured 235 degrees F with my thermal imager prior to teardown.

Last edited:

mmeridith

FYI... I am having the same issues with my input shaft bearings. Received quote from bearing supplier for all bearings which is MORE than the cost of a NOS T-case.
bearings-page1.jpgbearings-page2.jpgbearings-page3.jpg

randygk

I found Motion Ind prices somewhat high, also I replaced a couple bearings that could have been left alone. I guess it depends on how much you're going to use the truck.
Check EBay as some of the ads are for large suppliers.

Lloyd B

As I am in the crane repair business, I have seen that unless you are a commercial or resale customer MI (or most bearings suppliers) tends to stick it to the retail customer. I ended up y a NOS transfer case for my deuce when I had my issues in TX. but due to shipping costs it would have cost me more to get it to me. I picked it up for 750.00 not sure if that is great but now I have a backup in the event of another TC problem.

Lloyd

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I had about $300 in parts rebuilding m transfer case. I also replaced one yoke because the seal surface was not good. If i was going to do it again, I might buy a NOS rebuilt one, and pull it apart for an inspection and see how everything looks just because I want to know how everything looks. With a NOS rebuild I would like to see how things look inside I guess, or i am OCD... either or. plan on changing the oil after a few hundred miles also just to make sure there is no debris or dirt particles in the case.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi:

Can someone please post which TM covers the disassembly, repair, and reassembly of the M35A2 air-operated transfer case?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks