• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Fail and Cant Go Over 45 mph

johnhjohnson2

Hello All,

I am having some issues identifying what went wrong with my 1989 M998 and hoping for some suggestions. I was driving through town at approx. 30 mph and heard what sounded like a u-joint bracket failing. I could hear what sounded like someone hitting a hammer under the cargo bed. As I drove faster the frequency of the banging increased along with how hard it banged. I was only a mile or so from home so I tried to make it back. Once I got over 40 mph the banging ceased and never happened again. I crawled under the truck and checked the u-joints and drive shaft and they were fine. The transfer case was leaking fluid at approx. 1 drop every 45 sec or so. I had never had any fluid leak from the truck previous and am sure of that as it stayed in a carpeted garage. I tried shifting from H to L and it had trouble accomplishing this which was abnormal so I assumed the chain had slipped and damaged gears etc. When driving to repair shop I had to get out on interstate and quickly noticed I had no power and couldn't get above 45 mph. The shop thought it was transfer case too and I replaced it with a rebuilt case. The truck shifts fine now but I still have no power in higher gears and can't get above 45 mph. After driving a few miles at 45 mph I can feel heat coming off transmission beside me and hot air blowing through the hole by parking break. It doesn't do this at slower speeds. Any ideas?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Well now I know what I wanted to say, but Welcome and lets see if we can trouble shoot problem?

When checking fluid in transmission did you see any metal shavings? Sunlight or flashlight and shine on and look for metal flakes. Possible torque converter fail, broken hub will still let trans work, and depending on where brake is on hub how much fluid will leak. Had it happen, hardly any fluid leak, no metal shavings. So I thought front pump, so I removed trans and when I removed converter the hub broke on angle. So while out , rebuild, flush out, new converter, front pump, and manual shift valve body.

Good Luck

Dock Rocker

I am guessing that what you experienced was torque converter shutter. I would take it to a transmission shop and let them have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnhjohnson2

There weren't any metal shavings. I think you guys may be right with the torque converter. I have a local guy who has TH400 transmission pullouts that have been gone through for $500. Would you guys recommend just replacing torque converter or whole tranny? Thanks again for the help

Dock Rocker

There weren't any metal shavings. I think you guys may be right with the torque converter. I have a local guy who has TH400 transmission pullouts that have been gone through for $500. Would you guys recommend just replacing torque converter or whole tranny? Thanks again for the help
I would get a transmission shop to verify that the converter is your problem before i started swapping parts. You may not need either.

If it is your converter you will need To have the transmission gone through as well as a new converter. When they die they put metal through the whole system.

dhaumann69166

Was the tranny fluid dark or did it smelled burned? I would start with dropping the pan and changing the filter. While it’s open make sure the valve body is clean and everything is tight and where it should be. You might get lucky and be able to fix the problem with a filter and fluid and save a few hundred dollars.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have new in the box torque converters for the th400 if that turns out to be the issue. PM if interested.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torque converters don’t clunk when failing....from your description, it’s something from the Tcase back, but Tcase is an easy enough Check.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks