• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case fill issue

MOOSERABBIT

I have a NP 242 transfer case. today i was servicing it, drained the fluid and according to the TM was supposed to add 3.5 qt of dextron III. I could not get more than 2 quarts in the case. What am i missing with this? I did fail to measure how much came out as a very small amount came out when i removed the fill plug, and i also serviced the trans at the same time.
Thanks
Gary

Wire Fox

Just park on level surface and fill til it runs out hole.
I believe the manual's volume listed is also including what's needed in the cooling loop...I may be wrong, but I know the assessment of "fill it until it's to the hole" is actually correct, as long as you're parked level.

MOOSERABBIT

It was full when drained, I failed to check how much I got out, as I also serviced the transmission at the same time. Never really thought about it till the oil was disposed of and went tobrefill. Truck is level, filled till it came out the hole. Will take it for a short drive and recheck, put in just a little over 2 qts.

dskupi01

I just did mine a month ago. Same thing, about 2 qts. Volume listed must be wrong. It will take 3.5 qts if you let 1.5 qts run over into your catch pan.

MOOSERABBIT

I have this same one. 242. i did drive it a couple miles and checked again, added a little less than 1/2 quart. so im sitting at 2.5 quart now. I believe that is all she will hold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks