• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case fluid change in a M923a1

two.fiveM35

I would like to change the oil in my transfer case on my M923a1 and I can only find very little info on it. Do I need to be concerned about yellow metal as with the deuce? What API service can I use? And info on this would be appreciated.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can just use your std GO 80/90w. No yellow metal worry about.
Look in the LUBRICATION ORDER
LO 9-2320-272-12

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for sharing the link to the report, two.fiveM35, good stuff. The Amsoil looks really good. Going to their website, they have a lot of interesting information. In the Technical Service Bulletin on Thermal Runaway, it describes the phenomenon this way: "The extreme pressures and temperatures generated by modern vehicles increase stress on gear lubricants and can lead to a serious condition known as Thermal Runaway. As temperatures in the differential climb upward, gear lubricants lose viscosity and load carrying capacity. When extreme loads break the lubricant film, metal-to-metal contact occurs, increasing friction and heat. This increased friction and heat, in turn results in further viscosity loss, which further increases friction and heat. As heat continues to spiral upward, viscosity continues to spiral downward. Thermal Runaway is a vicious cycle that leads to irreparable equipment damage from extreme wear, and ultimately catastrophic gear and bearing failure." This bulletin also says "Viscosity is the most important property of a lubricant in its defense against friction and wear. Viscosity correlates to film thickness and film strength, which keep moving parts from contacting each other and creating increased friction, heat and wear. The higher the viscosity of a lubricant, the greater protection it provides. Note, however, that too thick a lubricant is detrimental because it consumes more energy."
The transfer case in my M925 gets noticeably louder when fully hot, with lots of gear whine sound, and the fluid seems really thin when checked hot. Does anybody have any experience running a heavier weight such as 90W-140 in a M939 transfer case?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks