• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case for a PTO

USMC6062

I have an idea to use a divorced transfercase in between the transmission and the stock deuce case as a PTO. Has anyone ever done this? I know the stock case would have to be moved back to make room for it. It would also give you a second low range. A divorced NP205 could be used to power a front winch, or a NP200 would give you front and rear outputs. I'm building a bobbed deuce to play in the mud with, and I can get a 5 ton winch to go on the front, but the input is on the wrong side. I know I can take it apart and switch things around to make it drivers side input, but I would still have to buy a pto for the trans. Using a t-case would be cheaper, give me a second low range, and possibly a rear output for a rear winch if I decided to add one, and would power a 5 ton winch as is. What would be the down side, other than possibly breaking the added case?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PTOs aren't that expensive if you shop around. I've seen trans PTOs for $250. For the amount of fab work involed I would go with the trans PTO. I'm all for designing crazy stuff that nobody else has done and make it work but this sure seems like a whole lot of work for very little gain. The t-case may or may not hold up either.

USMC6062

It probably depends on the driver if the added case would last or not, but a lot of mud boggers are running their trucks stock case into a second case. Most late model stock cases are chain drive aluminum units, not known for high strength. Not too many break the factory first case, but some have busted the second case. One thing I like about adding a case instead of a regular pto, is the added low range. Does anyone know if the out put on a NP200 (M37 case) where the e-brake is attached turns at the same speed as the two outputs going to the axles? Mainly does it have a high and low like the axles outputs, or does it turn at the same speed as the input, only in high? If it doesn't have a low range, then I wouldn't gain a second low range into the deuce case. Thanks, Alex

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you looked under the truck? I don't think your going to fit an extra Tcase between the stock trans and motor, with out moving the stock Tcase back. Thats sounds like alot of work and way more money than a pto. .02

USMC6062

I have to remount my T-case anyways because I'm running 5 ton axles. I have am going to clock it to make it a drivers side output. I have already looked inside another case to make sure it won't cause oiling issues. The case is just a smooth empty shell inside, so it shouldn't matter if it is hanging at and angle to the right or left. I will have to get creative with the fill and drain plugs, but I think I have that figured out. So moving it back at the same time won't be much if any extra work.

503m715

The outputs on a 200 t-case turn at the same speed. M715 owners have been relocating the rear drive output to the ebrake output to help reduce heat and noise.

mlwats1@hotmail.com

could you just clock your axle and put the pumkin on the right side by turn the five ton axle so it is looing back and switch knuckles around, and put a t-case pto to run a hydraulic pump that way it would not matter where the winch input was located.:p

airmech3839

Or you could use a dump PTO if you can find one. it has two outputs and that would give you your extra winch input!! I have no experince in doing anything else like what you are describing though.2cents

mlwats1@hotmail.com

on a m35 the rear pto off the transmition gets reallt tight/cramped until you get behind the airpac before you can do much, with a t-case off a tank truck you have lots of room to do just about anything needed:p

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................. So moving it back at the same time won't be much if any extra work.
Agree on that. Just keep in mind: NP200 is 14" flange to flange, add two short custom DS, min. 12.5" ea., substract the stock one with 11.5" and you end up having to move it back almost 28". Everything is possible depending on how far the rear axle will be located. Stock DS, TC to FR-axle is 52". IMHO 35" would be a sound minimum to ensure enough susp. travel.

G.

6x6guy

Try looking into Northern Equipment, lots of goodies and would be a good project if you decide to go the power from a electric clutch driven hydraulic pump from the 12 volt side of the duel batteries.

USMC6062

I thought about spinning the axles around, but I don't want to run the chuncks backwards all the time. If I did add a t-case, I would bolt it flange to flange, or yoke to yoke with 1 u-joint with either the trans or stock t-case, then use a shaft on the other side. I have a t-case pto and hydraulic pump and a hydraulic winch, but they are a intended for the rear of my stock deuce.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wellthe flanges are different sizes. If you want, I found a flange to go on the output of the 3035a trans to make it the same size as an np200, but its a TINY ujoint. 1310 I think.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you turn the cases around in the axles, won't that make the truck go backward?

USMC6062

If you spin the front housing keeping the chunk facing the way it is stock, the driveshaft ends up being roughly in the center. I know I can take stock 5 tons as they are and simply turn them around making them passenger side drive, then swap knuckles on the front to keep the tie rod in the back. Mud boggers do this all the time. But, if you ever take the chunk apart, which I have, you will see that obviously thay are not intended to be run in reverse all the time. It has a ring and pinion in the top of the chunk. They are designed to put the load on the drive side of the ring gear, if you turn the axle around and run it, you put the load on the coast side. The big gear that hangs down in the housing is helical cut, they create a side load when rotated. Running them as intended puts the load in the direction it was designed for, running them the other way puts the load in the oposite direction. Plus look at a 5 ton chunk, they have a big bearing on one side of the pinion for a reason. On a mudd truck that never sees the highway it is probably fine, but this truck will get driven on the street, especially until I get a big enough trailer to haul it to events. Either way I'm running the axles the way they sit in a 5 ton. I'm gonna rotate my transfercase to make it left side drive. I just figured while I have everything apart, I may throw a second case in there to dive a winch and gain more gearing. As far as yokes go, I would probably take the stock NP200 yokes, machine the flange off and weld a deuce size flange in its place. I never would have thought doing this would hold up, but there is a guy doing it here in Florida for other people, and they beat the crap out of there rigs. I haven't heard of anyone breaking one yet. I'm not affraid to build or fabricate something, that's all part of the fun of messing with this stuff.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree on that. Just keep in mind: NP200 is 14" flange to flange, add two short custom DS, min. 12.5" ea., substract the stock one with 11.5" and you end up having to move it back almost 28". Everything is possible depending on how far the rear axle will be located. Stock DS, TC to FR-axle is 52". IMHO 35" would be a sound minimum to ensure enough susp. travel.

G.
The deuce tractors are a little shorter than a cargo. I'd say if you didn't go any shorter than a fith wheel truck you'd be ok.

USMC, If you go flange to flange or just use one u-joint you are going to have to line them up perfectly and brace them where they can't move independently in the mounts or you will have binding and breaking shafts.