• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case in the M211/135

Hello, I have questions about the transfer case in the M211/135 trucks. I took out my transfer from my M135, pulled the covers off, and looked it over. Am I seeing things, or does this T case really "unlock" the front axle when you back up? No power goes to the front axle when backing up? aua I also was trying to figure how it's possible to get a second speed out of this unit. Boyce truck parts offers a two speed case, but I can't figure how. Any Ideas? Anything I can do myself, without destroying my case?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes power is applied to the front axle in reverse. The engagement is a ratchet type mechanism that is reversed when you shift from forward to reverse. The only two speed transfers that were put into these trucks were the WWII GMC CCKW units that have ball bearings. The one you have in your truck cannot be converted to two speed.

Yes power is applied to the front axle in reverse. The engagement is a ratchet type mechanism that is reversed when you shift from forward to reverse. The only two speed transfers that were put into these trucks were the WWII GMC CCKW units that have ball bearings. The one you have in your truck cannot be converted to two speed.
Hi, thanks for the reply, ok, I'm trying to see what you mean, but what's screwing me up is when I "shift"into reverse, the linkage connected to the transmission shift tower going to the shift fork on the transfer, PULLS the ratchet clutch out of engagement with front (drive) shaft. This causes no drive to front shaft. When in forward mode, linkage is PUSHED into engagement, and only "slips" when on dry pave. I know you have to be right, just having a hard time getting it into my head. As for the 2 speed issue, that I see clearly. I'll look at it some more and I know it will come to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

My first m211 transfer case would not shift in to six wheel drive in reverse . The mechanical adjustment needed more travel then what it had . You might jack up one front wheel and unhook the shaft on the transfer case and push or pull the shaft in or out it is spring loaded . The adjustment is so limited .

My first m211 transfer case would not shift in to six wheel drive in reverse . The mechanical adjustment needed more travel then what it had . You might jack up one front wheel and unhook the shaft on the transfer case and push or pull the shaft in or out it is spring loaded . The adjustment is so limited .
I will try this with my M211, I had thought of even putting her up on stands and video shifting from forward to reverse and see the front axle lock in. Have to that in my basement though, not on soft ground.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Updated title for you. I thought you were transferring somewhere...

;-)

Yes power is applied to the front axle in reverse. The engagement is a ratchet type mechanism that is reversed when you shift from forward to reverse. The only two speed transfers that were put into these trucks were the WWII GMC CCKW units that have ball bearings. The one you have in your truck cannot be converted to two speed.[/QUOTE
Hello again, the light finally came on. Trouble was I didn't shift the fork ahead enough to catch the front ratchet. I was just seeing the back one. All is well now. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks