• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case issue (I've read the TM and searched the forums)

cdnm1009

Hey guys, when I picked up my 09 from GL I was told it had a transfer case issue. Wasnt too worried about it at the time but now I am looking into it a bit more. It shifts to Hi but wont go into Neutral. Yes I have it in Neutral and I have read the instructions on my visor. I dont wanna waste anyones time but pulling the TC seems a little premature without asking a couple questions first.

The TM just talks about it being hard to shift, not sticking at neutral. I can take apart the linkage but was hoping someone might have some useful info.

Also I have a bit of play in the front drive shaft were the 2 parts meet, there is a seal (that the Chevy dealership said is obsolete, this truck will probably out last any of the crap there selling these days). Is the seal usually have some play or should I try to find one somewhere else?

Thanks alot for all the info on here, looking forward to some day passing on some knowledge myself.

Cheers

motormayhem

Not sure what the problem with the transfer-case is. Is the linkage out of adjustment? Also could be the shifter forks are worn. Also it is possible to remove the back cover of the transfer-case without disconnecting it from the transmission. You just need to be careful to make sure the bearings on the transmission side of the through-shaft are in the correct place when you put it back together.

tvguy

Also I have a bit of play in the front drive shaft were the 2 parts meet, there is a seal (that the Chevy dealership said is obsolete, this truck will probably out last any of the crap there selling these days). Is the seal usually have some play or should I try to find one somewhere else?
If you're talking about the seal on the slip yoke it just keeps the grease in. If there's play in the shaft then it's likely from wear.

cdnm1009

Well you can fix STUPID!!!

Took the housing off the shifter and found i need to shift it to the right to get it in neutral (been driving a push button 4x4 for too long)

Front shaft doesnt look like its been greased since I was a teenager so I am going to clean it up and probably replace all the u-joints while I have it off.

But I am going to enjoy Canada Day (Today) and do it tomorrow if I can get the parts. Thanks for the help guess and sorry for wasting your time. Here's come pics of the splines of the front shaft

Attachments

Oldsouthernboy

On the front drive shaft there is two versions, the early drive shaft has a grease fitting to lube the shaft splines and no seal. The second newer version has the seal and no way to grease the shaft splines.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
trick is if it does't shift into 4wd and grinds gears just shift the truck into netual and turn off the truck shift it into 4wd and then drive...... stops my prob till i can get the funds to rebuild mine

cdnm1009

Well I replaced all the u-joints on the front shaft. Glad the local Canadian Tire loans tools, got a U-joint puller which came in handy. Better than beating them out like we did when my rear on went on the trip back.

Not sure if I messed up the rear yoke that mats to the transfer case but it was bent to **** when I was building it back up. $110 for it but I couldnt get the c-clips on the old one. I was 2 u-joints in when my uncle came by and hooked up the impact gun to the c-clamp, wish I would of thought of that earlier. But I will know for next time (hopefully not for a LONG TIME)

Also was wondering if the cv joint had a grease nipple? Looks like the original was broken off. THink I will remove it at work and tap it out and put a new one on.

When I am in 4x4 Lo the thing sure doesnt want to turn hard, is that because of the gov-lock or do I have another problem?

First couple pics are the front ujoint that mates to the diff, When I pushed it would push up against the shaft. So I took the other side to the grinding wheel and pushed it out the other way. Had no issues like that on the other 2 though

Attachments

C15TA

CDNM, check that the grease fitting you think might be broken isn't one that takes a special needle attachement for the grease gun. I am not sure on the CUCV but most vehicles that have a CV joint have that needle fitting.
As an aside, you live in a beautiful area. I went to my nephews wedding last summer just outside Victoria and really liked it. The ferry is a bummer though. My brother lives on Bowen Island and the whole time we were there we were racing to meet one ferry or another.
Cheers,
Barry

cdnm1009

CDNM, check that the grease fitting you think might be broken isn't one that takes a special needle attachement for the grease gun. I am not sure on the CUCV but most vehicles that have a CV joint have that needle fitting.
As an aside, you live in a beautiful area. I went to my nephews wedding last summer just outside Victoria and really liked it. The ferry is a bummer though. My brother lives on Bowen Island and the whole time we were there we were racing to meet one ferry or another.
Cheers,
Barry

Now that I think of it that is exactly what it is, a needle grease fitting. Thanks alot for that, I am glad I didnt try to drill it out.

I do love Vancouver Island, I have lived here most of my life though and am hoping to get posted out east next year. The half a million price tag for a fixer upper house is really getting to me. And yes the ferry company kinda has a monopoly if you wanna leave, with the cost of almost $70 for a one way to the mainland is kinda crazy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks