• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case jumping out

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at a 71' M35A2 and it appears to be in pretty good shape. It drives well and shifts fine. However, when I shift into low on the transfer lever, and start to drive forward or reverse, it moves several feet then jumps out into neutral. Its like the lever does not want to stay on the floor. Any ideas on whats wrong?
Thanks in advance.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually it's the high gear side that is worn out due to high milage. If low is popping out I would first check the linkage for miss-adjustment or binding. Shifting "down" you should be able to feel positive engagement and the lever should not touch the floor. In the "up" or high-gearposition it almost touches the frame of the passenger seat.
If externally there is nothing wrong, you have to consider pulling the transfer case, digging inside and replacing the worn parts. Air shifts and sprag T-cases share the same parts for high and low range, so availability and cost for good take-out parts shouldn't be a problem.
Lots of work though, probably easier to replace the whole TC.

G.

Last edited:

tmbrwolf

Either the linkage out of adjustment (easiest to fix) or the hi-lo shift collar worn from shifting while moving, or a bad bearing on the gear from lack of oil (requires teardown), I get a few of them every year from fire dept's that have to be repaired, jumping out of high is more common but I do get a few that jump out of low. I've found low oil to be the greatest problen for us.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So can I just not use the low, or are there more problems that will follow? Is there a source for another transfer case near central IL if I need one? What should I expect to pay for one?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't use it ....if you can do without... :?
I would try to determine if it's not an external cause before shopping for a replacement.
Did you check for loose brackets or mounts?

G.

tmbrwolf

If it's linkage or a worn shift collar you can use it as is, if its a bearing...... so use it if you don't need low, if it starts to get really noisy then it's due for repair / replacement.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will take a look tomorrow when I can get under it. I need to dig in a TM manual as I know nothing about the 2.5s. What TM # do i need? I was just planning for a worst case scenario, so any places or expectant prices would be appreciated.

Jones

Before you get too worried, check to see that the detent ball and spring that holds it in gear are doing their job. If the bore the ball rides in is dirty or the spring is broken, it'll pop out of gear like you're describing. Take a look at the repair manual in the library section for full details but if I remember correctly they're accessable from the outside by removing a hex-headed plug. No need to drop or disassemble anything for this check.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know what a replacement case should cost? Do I beed to trade the core. Looked at it today (in the rain and sleet) and could not see anything wrong. But I will check again in some better weather.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks