• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Junk, Big Trouble?

Iron Monkey

Alright Guys, thanks… I have learned a lot from Ya’ll and need your input.
Just picked up my Jim Henry Deuce M35A2 Truck and transfer case is making a variable screeching noise at any speed.
I have the Air Locker front axle setup.
Locking Front Hubs, unlocked.
Moving the Air Locker lever slightly makes the noise constant. Lever in OUT position.
Transfer case:
I checked the oil, looks dirty but full.
I drained the Oil and the magnet plug had about 1 table spoon of metal sludge on it.
Also, these metal items were found inside with a magnet rod.
What do ya’ll think? Jim is a great guy and will fix or replace anything to make it good.
Serious? Fix or replace the Transfer? Fill it with clean oil and forget it if the noise stops?
Tom

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you're missing a setscrew and the small pieces look like a bearing cage. I'd be looking for a replacement t-case.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Looks like it might be a bit lighter now, I would replace or rebuild, it is not designed to run in the light weight mode

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, chipped ball bearing cage & safety wire at least plus one of the three set crews came off. By pulling just the front output section you will be able to know where its missing and if only that section or better the whole TC needs repair.

G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hey guys, Jim is a first class citizen. He said he will make it right. He sure saved my azz when I was in trouble in NC. I wouldn't worry too much.

motomacguyver

That much "stuff" out of something as minor as the kitchen bread mixer, is a problem. A tablespoon of filings is A LOT. I'm hopeful the seller will make it right. (No personal experience to go on with the seller.)

Iron Monkey

Question:

45 mile Trip to take it back....Drive it or Tow it? I know, it is just another adventure!

I kinda a figure ya'll would tell it like it is. I have cracked open many things and fixed most!

But, I am going to let Jim Henry, Rant and Rave for at least half a day while he fixes it! You are right about Jim...I have seen him lose money to make it right! Heck of a Guy and 100% Character! ( Think Wiley Coyote )

Thank Tom

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Put ON A TRUCK, don't drive/tow, unless you drop the drive line so the xcase does not turn, then tow