• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case leak

masonbytrade

I have been through about 5 different front output shaft seals now and it's still leaking from where the yoke rides on the rubber boot. I even redi-sleeved the yoke thinking it may have worn itself down. All the seals were for a 208 unit. Do i need to order a special seal or will the civilian seal work?

Westech

CPL
could have ether one. One is case Iron one is Aluminum. Time to go to that auto parts store and get the repair manual. That is going to be the best option to do. I don't leave home with out them even after almost 16 year ASE tech.

12vctd

the NP 208 can be rebuilt without removing the whole unit. But on a slip yoke transfer case either np208 or 205 the rear tailhousing comes off to replace the rear output bearing its very simple a manual will help but exploded diagrams can be found on the net by searching on google, for them. Also if you rear output bearing has gone bad and the truck doesnt have alot of miles I would suspect either your oil pump in transfer case is not working properly and not keeping the bearing lubed, or your driveshaft is unbalanced and causing a wear on the bearing.

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transfer case rear output shaft seal for the New Process 208 transfer case as found on my M1009 is a National (National Wheel End Components owned by Federal Mogul) #9449. 'Perfect fit and not too bad of a job to replace. O'Rielly's had it in stock.

Wolf.Dose

Mainly everthing is said.
Is the vent propperly working?
If not, you have no change to get the trans dry. Get the vent in propper order.
Are the flanges ok, do the seals run on a good surface?
If you answer all questions with yes, your problem should not exist any more.
This applies not for the rear shaft. There the seal has to follow two jobs: It is a radial seal which has to cover also the movement of the rear propellent shaft. And this is one job to much.
Wolf

ODdave

12vctd, you are the man if you can rebiuld the 208 in the truck........ i agree with the support berring being shot. you can get a repair sleave for a slip yoke?

bsalbrig

Those T cases are light enough to take out by hand. Just drain the fluid from the T case and the transmission, unbolt it from its adapter and pull it off.

You can unscrew the seal spring and cut some coils out of it and reassemble it to make it a little tighter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks