• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case low range headaches!

Doomsday

So I am hoping you guys can help me out.....new to the site still and new to recently purchased '84 M923A1. I have done a search and couldn't find much but I did see a thread that had this subject going but it had no more replies.
I just can't get my truck to shift into low range at all. The lockout switch seems to work although I had to put a fresh butt connector on one of the wires coming out of the handle in the cab since a part of the wire was jerry rigged back together. I am not sure how high the lever is supposed to be pulled up but when I try to it slightly engages the air for the front axle and seems to come out of high range cuz when I push it back down it feels like it engages back into high. All the wires look good underneath and I am kind of curious to know if the capacitor is prone to failure and that might be my problem.
The thread I found on this subject discussed disabling the lockout altogether which is something I am very interested in trying. Has anyone done this, if so, how did you do it??
I wish I had more time to investigate this problem for a better description but time and daylight hours have been short on it for me with work n such. I actually just got it running again this week since I purchased it and dumped all the fluids, changed filters and lubed everything all up. Tried to shift it today since I got it running and no luck. Please help, I want to get my rock crawling n hill climbs on over the holidays! :D

Thanks for the help guys!

bill2444

I helped a guy adjust his linkage once. His acted just like yours. I think one turn of the tunbuckle style linkage did the trick!

Doomsday

Just found a couple other threads on moving slowly in neutral and shifting like you mentioned, gonna try that once I get the maintenance finished up and ready for the trails. If that doesn't work I will try the linkage adjustment and maybe that will pull the actuator better to get it into low range.
Read a lot about shifting into low and modifying the linkage to eliminate the front axle engagement but not interested in that right now, just want to get it into low range! LOL

wsucougarx

I had issues with my truck engaging into Low range from High range. This was especially evident when the air pressure in the truck was over 90 PSI. I found the wires from the transfer case switch and the capacitor "out" wires were connected incorrectly. Once I got the wires connected correctly I verifed it by testing the switch.
Heres what I did to test the switch/capacitor/lock out were all working:
- start truck up and get air pressure upto running pressures.
-shut the truck down
-open your driver side door to hear better
-with the power on, reach down and push the transfer case button in. You should hear a "click" coming from the transfer case. If not then troubleshoot your wire connections and capacitor.
Hope this helps.

jw4x4

You may already be aware of this, but do not put the truck in reverse while in low range. If you goose the throttle, there is a high probability that the transfer case housing could split. I am eager to disable the auto-front axle engagement when shofting into low range on my 932. I want to control front axle engagement with the dash switch.

Artisan

You may already be aware of this, but do not put the truck in reverse while in low range. If you goose the throttle, there is a high probability that the transfer case housing could split. I am eager to disable the auto-front axle engagement when shofting into low range on my 932. I want to control front axle engagement with the dash switch.
These manuals are so big...I saw someplace it said not to go over 5-6 MPH in 1st in low.
THEN I saw a diagram of sorts and the speeds allowed in reverse in low range were BLANK, no info.
I would LOVE to get it directly from a MotorPool Supertinendants mouth exactly as to what the deal is.
I am sure jumping on the gas in low is bad yes, but I can not see using common sense and being
respectfull and useing Reverse in low being A_OK thing to do...just be cool.

I think the deal is, is not to try to get unstuck by rocking back and forth and quickly shifting
from F to R in low. If you do not allow the drive train to to come to a complete stop between shifts
KABAMM! All that momentum will split a TC in most any vehicle.

If you do the deed on the front I hope to see a pictorial !

Last edited:

Artisan

Here is what I was talking about, pg 369 -10 Op manual 2012;
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CAUTION

Do not allow the M939 series vehicles to exceed 5 mph (8 km/h) or M939A1/A2 series vehicles

to exceed 6 mph (10 km/h) when transfer case is in low and the transmission is in 1 (first).

Failure to do so will result in damage to internal engine components.

1. Shift selector lever (Figure 2, Item 3) into low. Drive slowly with transfer case shift lever in low range and

transmission selector lever (Figure 2, Item 2) in 1 (first) for 100 yd (91 m). This should be enough time to warm

up gearcases and tires.

2. Check instruments during operation. During normal operation, transmission oil temperature gauge

(Figure 2, Item 1) should read 120°F to 220°F (49°C to 104°C).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Make sure your in neutral before trying to shift into low.
Read starting page 81 in the -10 manual.
Hold button in all the way do not just tap it...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Be sure ot let us know how you fix it.!

jrod66

I have had mine in low, and I treat it like a big truck, give it time to stop, be gentle on the drivetrain, its not a competition style vehicle and needs to be treated as such. I did have a small problem with the lockout solenoid, I just disconnected the wire to it and it works for me. Low and reverse work just fine, just use your common sense, these manuals are designed for 18 year old kids that want to mess stuff up just for the fun of it! Good luck and have fun with it, if you break parts there is always replacements

I have found that i can shift my transfer case with NO air in the system, NOT running easier than if i have air in the system. If it goes in fairly easy with no air in the system and if you cant shift it with air in the system then most likely it is the solenoid. Just a thought.

Doomsday

I have had mine in low, and I treat it like a big truck, give it time to stop, be gentle on the drivetrain, its not a competition style vehicle and needs to be treated as such. I did have a small problem with the lockout solenoid, I just disconnected the wire to it and it works for me. Low and reverse work just fine, just use your common sense, these manuals are designed for 18 year old kids that want to mess stuff up just for the fun of it! Good luck and have fun with it, if you break parts there is always replacements
This is what I am wondering from your reply.....can I just disconnect the solenoid altogether?? I would rather not have a lockout on it and I want to b able to eliminate it if possible.
I tried the rolling slowly and the shift lever won't budge at all, it feels like it slightly disengages but it remains in high gear....I was forced to use high gear today for my first test off-road and was crawling the trails in high which was irritating cuz I wanted to hit some obsticles much slower and obviously couldn't due to the darn t-case lockout.....gonna try the trails again tomorrow but I will be checking back here in the meantime hoping you guys can give me some help in just eliminating the interlock feature.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Doomsday

Well, I think I found a worthy fix! Got an idea from the recent thread I saw about the interlock air cylinder.....I just took my air cylinder off and removed the locking shaft and put the air cylinder back on without that shaft. Works like a charm now! Shifts very smoothly right into low range......just need to keep a minder to never go reverse in that low range.

jrod66

you can use low and reverse, I have had my truck in low for a few weeks now and I just putt around the property doing work with it, no problems with reverse or the transfercase at all

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I think I found a worthy fix! Got an idea from the recent thread I saw about the interlock air cylinder.....I just took my air cylinder off and removed the locking shaft and put the air cylinder back on without that shaft. Works like a charm now! Shifts very smoothly right into low range......just need to keep a minder to never go reverse in that low range.
Where is the interlock air cylinder located? My lever moves really easy when the truck is not running and no air in the system. But can't budge it when the air is in the system or truck is running. Would like to make this mod ASAP. Need to know where it is and what is involved.

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks