• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Not Locking In

Clay James

My front wheel drive hasn't worked since I got my deuce, but I never checked into it because I had other work to do to it. I finally got around to looking into it and found a few problems. It's an air-shift transfer case and the air cylinder was leaking air around the plate, so I tightened all the bolts down thinking that would fix it. That stopped the leaking air but it still won't lock in. It makes a pinging sound when I drive with it engaged. I pulled the filler plug off and found the sliding clutch sleeve wasn't engaging all the way as seen in the picture.

Any ideas what would cause this? I searched and didn't find anyone else that's had this problem. Maybe it's still not getting enough air? It is a rebuild so maybe they messed something up.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Maybe the piston seal is bad or worn. There are rebuild kits out there. Someone has done a thread about it. Finding that thread might shed some light on your issue.

Clay James

I did see a thread about that rebuild kit. I'm hoping it's just something with the air cylinder and not something more complicated. I guess I'll try getting one of those kits and replacing it.

Clay James

Thanks! The that's exactly what's happening with mine. I did find that first one but it didn't sound like my problem. I guess they put the piston in the air cylinder in backwards.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks