• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case oil

Kharville

Looking in the TM for lubrication order for the Deuce it lists GO 80/90 for the t-case and transmission. Upon reading forums for the last hour I see everything from 30w, 40w, 50w synthetic to 200w pixie dust mentioned to use. Can someone post in one sentence or less what I can walk into NAPA and buy and fill with? If 80/90 gl5 or gl4, please state such. I want to use something that will not cause harm but should not have to phone a chemist for interpretation.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In short, there is the "use non-detergent oil because it worked since the 1930' and the lubrication order says so" - fraction (30W/40W/50W), if you can still find it. Then there is the "petro chemistry has advanced in the last 50 years and there are phenomenal modern lubricants for these applications that are not in the lubrication order because they did not exist back then" - fraction. They would use modern (yellow metal safe) gear oils.

"What is the right lubricant" therefore, inevitably, sparks a religious war.

I have run 80W90 in my tranny (it worked) and I have run 40W in my tranny (it worked). I have 80W90 in my transfer case (and it works). *putting helmet on*

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
80/90 GL4/5 will be fine. Pixie dust is illegal, I think. Your truck will outlast you.
JC

dmetalmiki

I have used oep220 military oil in gearbox transfer case and rear axles. For ever, No problems at all.
However, ALL (the, and any) running components are treated with 'molyslip'.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looking in the TM for lubrication order for the Deuce it lists GO 80/90 for the t-case and transmission. Upon reading forums for the last hour I see everything from 30w, 40w, 50w synthetic to 200w pixie dust mentioned to use. Can someone post in one sentence or less what I can walk into NAPA and buy and fill with? If 80/90 gl5 or gl4, please state such. I want to use something that will not cause harm but should not have to phone a chemist for interpretation.
NAPA
Valvoline Non-Detergent SAE 30 Motor Oil - 1 qt
PART # :
VAL 265
PRODUCT LINE :
Valvoline Oil

rustystud

I'm with the new oils faction myself. I'm using Shell 50W synthetic gear oil. If I went old school I would use 80/90W gear oil.
Any thing less in weight tends not to work as well in the heavy gear application of the transfer-case. Especially in summer ! You can hear the gears screaming !

dmetalmiki

LO 9-2320-209-12 states the requirement for the (TRANSMISSION(which is the gearbox)) (And which is NOT the Axles) is G.O. That's it. One oil for all. And that oil (G.O.) Is (as I use, OEP 220) And U.S. Military use 90 weight oil (and to clarify for you see below. AND do some research (google) for yourself, and your own satisfaction. (As many people use Engine oil at 50 W. OR 40w. STRAIGHT. In the \transmission.( VIZ. the 'gearbox and \transfer case.)
EP90 Gear Oil GL4 is a Suplhur/Phosphorus SAE 90 Gear oil with extreme pressure additives. Used in Hypiod rear axles, differentials gear boxes, steering boxes and other heavily loaded gears fitted to all types of vehicles from when idle. Economical in use due to long life characteristics. EP90 Gear Oil GL4 protects bearings and gear teeth in severe working conditions. Protects against rust and corrosion even when idle. EP90 Gear Oil GL4 spec API: GL3 GL4 MIL-L-2105 CS 3000A ZF TE-ML. 02 Difference between GL4 & GL5 It should be noted that Rye Oil Ltd is a blender of lubricants and as such, we can blend anything that is required. If you need an 80w90 gear oil GL4 we can make it for you. If you need a gear oil that isn't listed in the shop please contact us Let me start by telling you that Gear Oil's are not Transmission Oils. Transmissions have gears and synchronisers. These of which require a different additive package. If you are wondering if GL5 covers GL4 the answer isnt simple. GL5 covers GL4 in terms of protection, but contains to much detergent and will strip any white metals and strip any brass synchronisers. Simply, GL4 gear oils are intended for axles with spiral bevel and hypoid gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speeds and loads. GL-4 gear oils also have a low detergent level, which help protect yellow and phosphorous metal elements of the gear box. GL-5 is recommended for high-speed loads and also for low-speed torque systems without yellow metals.
I Hope this helps you. So to reiterate.
All the transmission transfer case and axles use GO. = 90 weight oil to GL4 2105 specification.
(Some folk 'like' to use 50 or 40 weight straight oil in the transmission (gearbox) and also the transfer case.).
Your truck..'your choice'. After reading the above.

[HR][/HR]

Last edited:

mattgunguy

I've used the black bottle 80/90 from oreilly's (their store brand)for as long as I can remember in both MV's and regular trucks. In my non MV trucks, I've always added an additive of some sort such as Lucas. However, I personally am looking more and more at the new school products. Probably will be trying out rustystud's shell synthetic that he mentioned in my the 818, once I get the new T-case in.

Kharville

I've used the black bottle 80/90 from oreilly's (their store brand)for as long as I can remember in both MV's and regular trucks. In my non MV trucks, I've always added an additive of some sort such as Lucas. However, I personally am looking more and more at the new school products. Probably will be trying out rustystud's shell synthetic that he mentioned in my the 818, once I get the new T-case in.
I like that the comments are still coming. Very informative but I too have also gotten the black bottles of 80/90 from Oreilly already and intend on using that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks