• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case PTO question

AndrewH

Ok I have done some searching here and either I havn't searched long enough or I havn't clicked on the one I need, so here goes. I picked up a transfer case PTO for my deuce, the idea is to use it to drive a rear winch. I do not know the M# of the pto. So the question is, where do I find the info I need to install it, do I need to do anything in the transfer case? I will try to post pics. If someone could direct me to the TM or TA here on the site I would appreciate it. -Andrew

Blood_of_Tyrants

I think that there were a few deuces made with rear devices like hole drilling equipment and maybe a winch for a wrecker. Try looking for them in the tech manuals.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a pic of one installed on a t-case I have. Basicly all you have to do is remove the rear cover and put the PTO in it's place. There is a connecting collar that connects the PTO to the shaft in the t-case. I hope you got this piece with the PTO because from what I understand they are scarce as hens teeth.

Attachments

AndrewH

I am looking in the 'old site' in the tm area, I found some literature on the deuce crane, I see the case equipped with a pto, It doesn't show me where the line one the side of the pto goes, I think it is an oil returm? any ideas? I still havn't found the installation info I'm after, still looking, thanks for the reply tho! -Andrew

AndrewH

OK, I am missing the collar. That helps. I was thinking the moving part in the pto was that part in the diagram. I'll have to go see if that collar is still there.... Thanks. -Andrew

AndrewH

If the deuces don't have the oil line, this may be a 5 tonner. The pto has a line. I didn't take it off the old case so it's hard to say.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce PTOs do have a oil line. I can get some more detailed pics of mine if needed. The wreckers, tankers, pipeline, and pole setting trucks had the t-case PTO.

AndrewH

Looks like I need to find the collar mentioned earlier. If you have a chance to get pics, that would be nice, mainly where the fabled oil line should go. Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 different styles of that dog clutch collar. The one G posted with the bolt that goes through it and the other has a set screw on the side that holds it in place. Should be interchangeable. Search for TM 9-2520-246-34 TM 9-2520-246-34-1 and TM 9-2520-246-34P

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found out the hard way the collar with the bolt may not fit on a newer T-case. The old t-case had a tapped hole for the bolt, the new case had a hole with no threads. And the shaft was hardened, preventing it from being tapped.

We drilled and tapped a set screw on the collar, didn't know at the time that some collars come that way.

Dennis

citizensoldier

That explains the two styles of collars.. We will have to check his T case and go from there on what type to machine up.. Still looking for one for a pattern though.. Anybody?
I found him this PTO and it was a pretty good deal.. Not knowing that he needed the collar but it was still a good deal.. I feel responsible for getting it up and functional for him.. Plus the drag winch might just save my but some day.. lol Let me check..... yep he owes me one pull out for sure...:-D

spicergear

don't lose the nut that holds the output yoke on either. Very hard to find thread...something 1 - 32...been a while but it's real fine for a larger shaft size. I got another nut, cut the threads out, then cut the 32 (or whatever very fine they are) into it then.

citizensoldier

This might be a dumb question but do you guys think I could find the specs for that collar somewhere? Maybe manufacturer of the PTO or the Tcase? Tech TM? A good set of schematics would work wonders and make a machinist very happy.. :-D

AndrewH

Thanks for the help! I am saving pictures and posts. I am going to have to putt the cap here and see which adaptor I need. CS is looking toward the source of the pto to see if the collar is in a box there somewhere. If he finds it I'll be sure to let you all know! AAlso, THANKS if big fat font for posting the TM numbers, That helps a lot! -Andrew

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks