• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer case question - WHAT DID I BREAK?

bugei

i was playing with my M816 and having a good old time when i blew either a hose or pump seal under the truck, serious mess.

when i went to put my transfer case in high range, it wouldn't quite go in. there was some grinding, but just not quite in. all seems normal in low range. i am hoping someone can give me an idea of what i broke so i am not going in blind.

btw, if someone has ever ended up with a "gusher" under their wrecker by the hydraulic pump, clue me in on that one too. what is the vulnerable part? hose or pump?

thanx
be safe

Last edited:

Chevytruck

if it wont go into high range, your Tcase lever might not be properly adjusted, or you may have to replace the Tcase, the others i have no idea about.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
816, under the truck, by the pump? Sounds like the filter let loose. There should be a PS magazine about the wreckers and that filter. Mine is an Austin Western, so I didn't pay that close attention, sorry.

JDToumanian

So it's just a coincidence that the TC failed at the same time as the hose blew, or was this two questions about things that happened at different times?

If they both happened at the same time, I'd wonder if a hose or something else breaking damaged the TC shift lever / linkage or is hanging in the way and preventing full travel.

Other than linkage adjustment, the only solution to a failed TC is to rebuild or replace it. :cry:

Jon

bugei

the events happened in the same "excursion". i am hoping that the tcase linkage just decided to "go over the edge" at that moment, and a simple adjustment will fix it. we were running the crane pretty hard, so if something was going to come loose it would have.

we were in get it home mode it was getting late on sunday, so i have not had a chance to view the carnage yet. i appreciate your feed back, at least with your comments and the tm's i will have someplace to start.

a great wife quote. after i called to tell her that we had "broken homie (the 816's name, short for home wrecker)", she said " i thought you told me that it was so tough that even you couldn't break it". i guess i lied.

Last edited: