• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case questions

skidder

I have a 1970 M35A2c the transfer case slides out of high under torque on Pulling a hill , it doesn't pop out of gear I get it before it does, is there a rebuild kit around or a reman Trans case around? Skidder

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parts in question are the same, air-shift #T-136-27 or Sprag-TC #T-136-21...

I'm assuming you already inspected the TC-mounts as well as the shift linkage adjustment?

No, regrettably there is no such "rebuild kit" around. But with a bit of luck you may still find NOS replacement parts, which in this case would be the large (high-range)gear #7521586; the synchronizer assembly #7521581 and eventually also the input shaft #7521572. The 6 ball-bearings involved should be easier to find, since those are std. commercial sizes.

Or try to score a gov. rebuilt T-Case and simply swap units.
Another option would be finding someone in your area who has swapped his sprag-TC for an airshift unit and is trying to get rid of his old one. Chances are that the parts you need are still in good shape.

If nothing pops up in your vicinity let us know.

G.

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chock wheels,Take out passenger seat, remove floor, disconnect speedo cable and linkage, then remove bolts n nuts from both driveshafts. Remove a bolt on or 2 on the t-case and fasten a short chain to the t-case so it is stable when u pick it up. I used a cheery picker in through the pass door and hook to the chain, snug up. Remove emergency brake cable, then remove t-case mount bolts n nuts. lift, twist n lower on to floor!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's what my M109 was doing for a couple of hundred miles before the transmission started puking oil real bad (on the way to the 2016 GA Rally). Get it checked and replaced as soon as possible so you don't mess up your transmission.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need some transfer case advice here. Closest thread I could find.

Feels to me like I can move the emergency brake drum up and down like it has play. Not just in and out. I took it all apart to change the seal and found the shims etc. on the output retainer. I read the TM and it seems to say measure the endplay with an indicator and ADD shims if needed.

This doesn't sound right to me. I would think to tighten up the bearing clearance I would subtract shims.

Any advice or explanation on how this adjustment really works? Does it force the bearing into the cone to reduce this play?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read the TM and it seems to say measure the endplay with an indicator and ADD shims if needed.
Yes, add shims if too tight (and subtract if too loose.) Sounds right to me.

Set it just to where you can feel no more end play at all. Measure only if you don't trust your feel. Avoid any bearing preload!

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, add shims if too tight (and subtract if too loose.) Sounds right to me.

Set it just to where you can feel no more end play at all. Measure only if you don't trust your feel. Avoid any bearing preload!
Thanks I was hoping you would reply.
Looks like I will be spending some more time under there this weekend.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This task was accomplished successfully.

Is there any way to set the clearance on the countershaft while it is in the truck? The TM drawings make me think when I pull the countershaft cover off it will expose the shims. No hole in the cover to use as a way to test this end play. Is the only way to set it having the transfer all broken down so you have access to the other side of the shaft to move back and forth?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks