• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Seal Replacement

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to Motor Muster in 2007 and 2008. This year for some reason, John Lind never got back to me and I forgot about it until it was too late to register. I love that show and hated not being able to attend this year. It is always fun. Congrats on the win.
Chuck,

John Lind wasn't there this year. A lot of guys didn't show (that's why I won first place). I don't think John is comming to the Muster any more. If you watch the Greenfield Village site, you will see the info you need to register. I really enjoy that outing. It's always better when we have a lot of military vehicles turn out for it.

Hope to see ya there next year!

Bill

M37Dodge

Pulling seals, and easier way . . .

I rebuilt my t/c last year. First off, pulling the seals is a pain. Second, rebuilding the t/c makes the truck so much quieter - you can have normal conversations in the cab vs. yelling. The rebuild was not hard to do. I replaced all the ebearings - including the idler gear bearings - which the local rebuilder said was unnecessary as they wear the least from their work on NP205's. Resetting the idler bearings and idler gear preload was the only tough part of the job - good idea as the NP200 idle bearing are always used unlike the NP205's straight through design.

Seal pulling - I lack the proper tool to pull them. So, I tack welded 1/4" course thread nuts to the outer seal surface and pull the seals using a Y shaped steering wheel puller. It is fast and works great. No risk of metal bits falling into the case from awls/drilling/tapping ect.

BTW: Don't forget to put sealant behind the yoke nut washers when reinstalling the yokes or oil may leak down the shaft and out at the yoke nut.

Also, from the BigE days . . . I am "Drew M."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks