• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer case!! uggh!!!

powersmoke18

any idea where to get a transfer case for the 5 ton?? think i may have a bad bearing!! was changing the oil and found some parts!!!

Attachments

powersmoke18

well pulled it apart and found the problem!! the bearing on the input shaft is cageless!! kinda sucks cause theres no way to fix by sunday!! i would call it the low gear idler bearing??

powersmoke18

it moves but it does not engage or use the gear that it supports unless it is in low range. so the gear is free wheeling when you drive down the road unless your in low range. in that case that gear would be locked to the input shaft and the high range gear would free wheel. very simple but hard to explain. powerflow often is!!

powersmoke18

not the pto the pto is driven from the rear of the transfer case. i'm talking about the high and low drive ranges.

jasonjc

Can you post up the brearing #'s when you get them? I need to rebuild one two. And tell us how it goes, any tip's or trick's.
Thank's

powersmoke18

i'm trying to find a complete unit right now. if i dont i will let you know. they are pretty simple to rebuild tho. if i do choose to rebuild mine i will have to take every bearing out and replace it because i dont trust any bearing after it has had metal go thru it!!

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1968 M51A2 which also has a bearing out of the top of the transfer case. My truck has been sitting for a year now and finally found a later transfer case.
Question: since the dumps and crane trucks, etc move slowly most of the time, how do we prevent the upper end bearings/gears from failure??

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
those upper bearings and gears are splashed lubed from just the transfer working, what will KILL the xcase is running with the xcase in neutral then they dont get ANY lub, (this is why the -10 says running in neutral is a no-no).the xcase pto set up has a oil pump and line to lub the upper bearings and gears when it is used to drive the rear pump or winch, this operation calls for the xcase to be operated in neutral

wbv

You might be able to find a transfer case off a retired pull-out truck from the logging industry. I found one that came from an M52 that had the transmission fail. Seems like low gear and reverse are used the most in pull-out trucks and this is where the transmission fails. Transfer cases are usually ok. Much like buying something at auction though - never sure of what you get.