• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case

Emmett

While removing the transmission for a clutch change, I noticed that when the Hi/lo lever that the transfer case input shaft moved in and out.

The yolk ( I guess that's what it's called) is loose on the input shaft although it is down tight. The whole shaft moves about 1-2 inches fore and aft.

It seems that now I will have to replace the transfer case and we found where that vibration was comming from. Has anyone had this happen before?
I have a spare NOS xfer case but will want to repair the one I am about to remove.

Thanks for any advice.

Emmett

yep

Yes,,,,,that much.
After the short-shaft from the xmission to the xfer was removed it really moved.
It's as if there is nothing holding the input shaft in place. I think the only thing holding it is the shifting fork and the short-shaft prevented it from moving too far forward.
I did notice a cyclic vibration after about 40 MPH and never considered it would be the xfercase.
Anyway, I will have to remove it and replace it with a NOS one. When I get it on the ground I will open it up to see what has happened.

I'm sure that R&Ring a transfer case will be a major pain. The transmission wasn't so bad but it sits on the jack nicely....unlike that xfer case that looks to be heaver and bulky.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the fork only holds the syncro, not the shaft in itself. If this can move that much out (forward) the bearings (two BL 210 Z, one 6310 NR) are long gone, besides other problems! You sure will find the balls plus all kind of bits and chips coming out once you open the bottom drain plug.

G.

Attachments

Emmett

Yea, what is stopping the shaft from moving all the way out is the gear goes against the case.
The shaft still moves regardless of the gear being in low or high.....BTW, I measured it and it moves 1 1/16 of an inch. So much so that when the shifter is in the LOW position, the yoke will slide up and down the shaft with he nut bottomed out.

I have decided to change out the xfer and use it as an anchor.....I don't think I want to try and rebuild it.
It amazes me that a simple clutch change can turn into a major drive train overhaul....to add insult to injury, I'm doing it for a friend and he will have to replace my NOS xfer with another. His duce has turned into a money pit.

Emmett

Neither were too hard. I have decided to replace the transmission first as it requires a bit more "jiggling" than the Xfer.
The flywheel was a real bear to reinstall as it weighs about as much as I do.
My friend is going to have to replace my NOS transfer case that we used, I'm sure that's gonna hurt. I bought this one about 10+ years ago in the crate for a song.
Back when you could get things from DRMO.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If the transfer has been sitting that long (10 years), it is a good bet the seals are dried out and it will leak when put into operation

Emmett

All went well. Both transmission and transfer.
I'm not really set up for "heavy" equipment here so I am happy it was done without mashing my fingers or worse.
took it for a test drive and amazingly enough, very quiet and no vibrations.

I will keep an eye out for seal leaks but the xfer is as dry as a bone. The only thing that I should have done was to change out the mount rubber but didn't have enough time to order / have them shipped in time for the replacement. Just one more thing to go on the back burner.

Now I can get back to the other oney pit, the Goat.

stancanpara

My transfer case had been sitting for at LEAST 10 years and was 1/2 full of water... I drained the water and filled with oil.... Runs smooth as ice and NO leaks so far... ;-)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Emmett, send a PM to BBF. He was selling the reman transfers for about half of what everyone else wants. He's over here on my coast but still in FL.

Charlie 6

I am going to replace the transfer case on my Gama Goat in May with a NOS, never done this on a goat. Besides the transfer are there any seals/ gaskets/ bearing I will need to accomplish the job. Also any tips besides having the transfer case in 6X6?
Any help greatly appreciated.

winerydale

Banned
Emmit, I just finished replacing my Tranfrer Case after i had a problem with my Tranny. I rebult my PTO and Tranny, reinstalled it. While driving a noticed that it was making one Heck of a racket and upon inspection noticed that the outputshaft on the Transfer Case was leaking!!! Tons of metal upon removal of the plug. I bought a NOS from Tow4. I R&R'd the Transfer Case with a Floor Jack and a support that i built in the shop that cradels the transfer case. Just had to raise it into place and bolt it up. That cost me around 2K for everything. I was also going to rebuild my Sprag Transfer case but i just gave it away. David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks