• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transferable SF97?

MAdams

In California

I occasionally see a vehicle for sale privately(ebay or craigslist) that says the seller will give you their SF97. I know there are a lot of opinions and thoughts but I wondered if anyone KNEW for a fact that this can be registered through CA DMV or will the DMV not accept someones else's SF97.

I remember when I received my SF97 from GP it was still a hassle dealing with the DMV.

MtnSnow

Don't buy one without an actual title. Many try to just "flip" a purchased FMV and will give you a SF97 they received and a bill of sale and most people end up regretting that as often they end up having to go down the expensive path and having to get a "bonded title" The "flipper" is do this so they can skip paying registration/sales/property taxes to get a real title.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only transferrable if the person is a registered dealer. If it's just an individual, the sf97 in their name is only good for toilet paper.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In California

I occasionally see a vehicle for sale privately(ebay or craigslist) that says the seller will give you their SF97. I know there are a lot of opinions and thoughts but I wondered if anyone KNEW for a fact that this can be registered through CA DMV or will the DMV not accept someones else's SF97.

I remember when I received my SF97 from GP it was still a hassle dealing with the DMV.

So you asked on the Internet for facts? :nothingfunny:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a guy try this with me in California. My call to California DMV told me there was no way to do it unless the vehicle was first titled in the seller's name and the transfer tax was paid.

This is someone attempting to skip title (illegal) or someone who doesn't know any better.

Either way, don't touch it until/unless it has a real title.

quickfarms

What type of vehicle are you looking at?

The funny thing about the CA DMV is you can get different answers talking to different DMV employees.

I have registered many vehicles in CA over the years. I have not had a problem using a SF97 and two bill of sales. I also have done it with just a bill of sale.

Last edited:

Amer-team

98G there is another scenario to add to your list. I am trying to get a 923A2 straightened out in WA. The man bought it, probably GL or GP, a little over 3 years ago. Drove it to WA from CA and died before getting paperwork going. So truck sat for about 3 years and the estate is trying to sell it. He had a small business and of course they can't find bill of sale or SF97 in his pile of paperwork. Am working through the process and will prevail eventually, but it is a bugger right now. As quickfarms said, it is a matter of finding a helpful DMV employee. Right now I am stuck between the DMV and the State Patrol. Will get back on it after the first of the year.

Do your homework and be patient. Maybe not CA, but most states want your money more than an unregistered vehicle.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Different states have different documentation requirements for reg. CT does not require title for vehicles over 20 years. If the vehicle was previously titled or registered in any state they can look that up and want to see continuity of ownership with bills of sale. They don't care how many times the item has changed hands without registering as long as there are bills of sale showing continuity. Mil trucks from auction are not in the DMV system neither are sf97s. I can make a bill of sale and reg with that and a form filled out stating where the vehicle came from. They do want a vin verification which can be done at a local garage on the DMV approved list. It's actually more of a pain to do it with the sf97. I have read several threads over the years about CA DMV putting people thru loops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks