• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfercase pto source

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which 5-tons had a shiftable t-case PTO? I know the 5-ton wreckers have a t-case PTO but they run all the time the trans is in gear and the clutch is out.

5tondeuce

Which 5-tons had a shiftable t-case PTO? I know the 5-ton wreckers have a t-case PTO but they run all the time the trans is in gear and the clutch is out.
On the 10 tons the pto runs all the time also. there is a control box of sorts under the winch that is shifted in and out of forward , neutral and reverse by air if I am not mistaken.

The M819 and the bolster truck with the mid winch had shifting pto's. The M543 and similar wreckers have a "power divider" with neutral, forward and reverse for the drag winch or send power to the crane. The shifting linkage appears to be mechanical to the power divider but one lever works an air valve which happens to be attached to the power divider that has hoses running to the air cylinder that works the clutch remotely.

Just a regular transfer case pto that runs constantly is hard to find I have found out. I was lucky enough to get one before I knew they were hard to find! The dealers I called and simply asked for a transfer case pto said they didn't have ANY.

I happened to purchase a double drum winch with a "split shaft pto" some years ago and may use that on my M818. A split shaft pto is designed to fit in the driveline just like an auxiliary transmission does. I also have a large front mount snow plow hydraulic pump that shifts in and out and need to take a look at that mechanism to see if I can adapt it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks